electrical help needed!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Max#235

Reaction score
i'm hoping there is someone out there who can help with this issue. my '05 is giving me some grief. i just replaced the orginal battery. however the problem occurs after i go for a ride. once i turn the bike off, i cannot get her started again. i turn the key and the headlight turns on but no lights come on the instrument cluster. So of course when i try to start there is silence. here's where it gets good. i move the bike head a few feet (because i'm going to jump it) and all of a sudden the lights come on the instrument panel. i try to start it and it turns over...... i've been told that the starting system is apparently ok. might there be a short somewhere?? i'm a little preplexed since i'm not the best at diagnosing or rectifying these types of issues. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
________
Club Royal Condos Pattaya

Last edited:
Do you have a sevice manual? I would take a test light and start probing to see where the short is at. Obviously the short is happening between the battery and cluster lights. Did it start after replacing the battery? If so, take a look around there and look for loose connectors.

Mark

no to the manual. i'll see if i can dig one up on line first. does clymer make a manual for the Max? yes to the start up after replacing the battery. thanks for the tips and for narrowing down my search. i'll give them a try and see where it gets me.
________
buttsex Cams

Last edited:
Yep, Clymer manual is very good. If you give me your email address I can scan the circuit diagram in and email it to you.

Mark

I'd look into your Start button too. A common problem is that is gets gummed up inside and the bike won't turn over, it is like you have the kill switch on. A quick fix is to spray some WD40 or contact cleaner in there. If you take it apart, be careful, as there is a little spring and a small metal ball (I believe), that like to shoot out when you take it apart.

I would check the connections and relays that you might have moved to replace the battery. Your problem could easily be a loose connector or relay (easy fix if you can find it). Try wiggling suspect connections with the key on and see it your console lights come on.:hmmm:

If this problem started occuring after the battery changeout, my bet is with a loose connection near the battery.

If not, perhaps there is an issue with the neutral sensing switch here? - though I don't know why it would only occur only after you've ridden.

Occasionally, my Max will not turn over when I get on. The green neutral light will be on, but no power to the starter. When this happens, I put it back into gear and then take it right back out - and problem solved. Maybe by rolling the bike..... the neutral switch is being jiggled slightly????

When I was doing the double relay mod on a friends bike, his console lights wouldn't work either. I found a connector on the right side of the bike by the steering head with a blue wire that had corroded and melted. When I first got my bike I went through all the connectors and cleaned them and filled them all with Dielectric (Tune-Up) Grease. Any moisture getting into the connectors will soon bring about the dreaded green creep of corrosion. Resistance goes up and connectors melt, then all kinds of weird things start happening, usually when you're riding with a bunch of Hardleys....very embarrasing!

Latest posts

Back