Electrical issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The neutral light is on, it's about the only thing working north of the solenoid. I bypassed the kickstand switch with no change. I have power through 2 wires going into the fuel pump relay, but none coming out and it makes a weird noise when key is on. Ordered a new relay hoping that fixes it but not sure if the ignition runs through that relay still running down wires.

Having the neutral light on will help as I mentioned with the safeties. The vboost should test cycle when you first turn the key on (and the kill button is on the run position). The fuel pump will only click if there is no pressure or fuel already in the carbs and that will only have power for the first 3-5 seconds if the relay does not sense a tach signal (engine turning over).

With the key on, and a brand new kill/run/stop switch neutral light on, there is nothing no fuel pump priming, Vboost, or engine cranking. Replaced the fuel pump relay as well with no luck. Downloaded a basic black and white diagram for the wiring but it's not much help. Not sure if the CDI box would kill all the power to everything, still working on that.

Reassessing some things found power to both sides of the solenoid. Not the battery cables but the small ignition wires. Grounded one side, lost power to both sides immediately following that. No wires burned, no smoke, no fuses blown. Can still turn motor over with screwdriver crossing the battery posts on solenoid. Have ran down almost every wire. Seem to have weak voltage to clutch switch and weak voltage to start button. Tested relay with light and one post with a green wire dimmed when I hit the start button. Scratching my head ordered a solenoid to see there is any change at all

Hey Guys, a couple things I have not read in the attempts to solve this nightmare. I have had three VMax and had a number of rather repulsive experiences. First, the references to the CDI. That is the ignition source. If the CDI is bad there will be no spark period. It is the same as points on a mechanical ignition. I read that if gas is poured into the carbs it will fire and run a moment. If that is correct then there is no ignition problem... Basics - you have to have 3 things for it to run. Fire, Fuel and Air.

When you hit the starter button it does not turn over, right? But if you cross the starter solenoid contacts that should turn it over. That is close to the battery. Does the fuel pump fill the bowls of the carburetors? There is 10 mm may be 8mm nut on the bottom of the bowl that will drain the
gas from each carb; check that. If it is not turning over when you hit the starter button, you may have a starter problem. But as I said you got it to start by pouring gas into the carbs. Then the started is working. The VBoost not cycling is a different problem if everything else is working.

I bought 2 VMax new and only problems I had were me. The third I bought used. That girl I still own, had a bad fuel pump and a number of other things. Total nightmare experience since it died in traffic. A VMax without power is almost as bad as a car dying. The point here is the pump. As I said check the bowls to see if there is gas in them. Making a strange noise could be the pump dying or locking up inside. Your starter solenoid is under the seat visible near the battery.

If you need a copy of the manual I can send you a PDF version by email. My email is [email protected].

The fuel pump does not engage at all no fuel period. I figured the cdi box would only control spark, and I have spark and it starts as long as I cross the large cable posts on the battery. So I have no fuel at all but also vboost isn't cycling and will not turn with the starter button which is new not used. I ordered a new solenoid yesterday, thinking that may be shorted out internally at the contact points

Update new solenoid installed, found the clutch safety switch bypassed it and the kickstand switch, still nothing. Have oil, neutral and fuel lights on cluster with the key on. Have power to both sides of the solenoid from the start switch side of it WTH?

Latest posts

Back