Electronic fuel injection- CV carbs to TBI

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of mentions of "he" in this thread. It becomes unclear who exactly "he" is. I think I 'm being reffered to at least once, but if this is correct I think I am being misrepresented.

So, just to be clear, and without wishing to prolong the discussion, or force any view, I will make may points again:-

I believe you could fund all the bits for sub £1500, this obviously assumes a diy project, and your time is free to you.
This makes it cheaper than a used gen1, and multi times cheaper than buying a ready made gen2 injected vmax.
Why would you do it - because you want to, if you do.....
Are there performance advantages - undoubtedly, especially if yo make the ignition 3d and spend maybe twice to 3 times the time it took to build to actually set up correctly.
How does it compare with rebuilding carburettors - a lot more work...
And finally, when I started thinking about this I said it would be difficult, now I think it would be relatively easy.

All just my views, I have no opinion on whether anyone should do this or not. If you're reffering to me as "he" please don't, otherwise I will do it too, and no-one will know where they are...

^^^ +1 I agree with you Huw. I did a rough estimate and cost of parts is in the region of £500-1000 by prudent shopping on eBay, that's the simple part.

Time, which is not part of the cost, will be considerable when done as a hobby developing and testing the controller software; 3-6 months at a guess.

In theory, there should be improved performance but since I have no data, it is pure conjecture on how much; 10% would be excellent, 20% phenomenal that I would not expect to achieve from a standard engine.

Seems my guess is not far off:
https://www.bikebd.com/carburetor-vs-fuel-injection-brief-discussion/

I personally don't see the 10% (assumed) performance gain worth it on its own, but added to all the other benefits it looks more promising.

... And of course nonsense like this would be a distant memory
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/mixture-screw-torque.49412/

True but that is not really a common occurrence.

You are also assuming that the parts you select will function as intended, it would be prudent to factor in the cost of having to buy alternative parts.
There would also be the question of setting it up.
If the hoped for gains are to be realised (even if it is possible) then you would need to factor in dyno time with an operator who is sufficiently clued up to make the changes necessary for the whole caboodle work.

So whilst you may be able to source the parts for under four figures there will still be extra costs for those unforeseen hurdles that need to be addressed and the big elephant in the room of dyno costs.

Anyone contemplating this needs to do so assuming that whatever they think it may cost they should probably double it and ask themselves if they can afford the time and cost.

Er........I think I'll stick with my flatslides if you don't mind.

Back