End of an era..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Back in late 1972, a local dealership came up with a great way to sell RD350 motorcycles. They were listed at weighing 299 lbs, and the insurance rates in NY back then were lower for bikes under 300 pounds. "The power of a big bike with the insurance premium of a lightweight". I was a die hard Honda rider, but I had to test ride one of these 2-stroke mosquito killers to see what they were like. It was January of 1973, and after a short cold ride, I wound up with my first Yamaha, a 1973 RD350. This was the start of my relationship with Don George's Sports Center. 49 years later, and Don's family decided it was time to close down. They were a lot more to me than a place to buy bikes, the people there, Don, his late wife Judy, and kids Don Jr. And Kim, were like family to me. I've had some rough patches over the years, and they were all there to listen, and offer encouragement when I needed it.
Don Sr. has been in poor health recently, my prayers go out for his future health.
Don and Judy were at the unveiling of the Vmax back in 1985, and she told me later that the instant they saw the bike doing the burnout on the stage, they looked at each other and said "Seward's gonna but the first one we sell". I did.
It is a loss to the motorcycle community in the area, and they will be missed.. I dug around in my garage and found an original 1970s vintage dealer license plate frame, it's now put back on Godzilla where it belongs.
Thanks to the George's. You are great friends.

Let me guess, they were selling you bikes and repaired them?
That they did, honestly and competently. That and a lot more. The folks at Don George's were friends. From times hanging around the shop, to partying at Zoar Moto Park after the races, helping me during times of loss in my life.
Snarky ass comments not appreciated .

Back in late 1972, a local dealership came up with a great way to sell RD350 motorcycles. They were listed at weighing 299 lbs, and the insurance rates in NY back then were lower for bikes under 300 pounds. "The power of a big bike with the insurance premium of a lightweight". I was a die hard Honda rider, but I had to test ride one of these 2-stroke mosquito killers to see what they were like. It was January of 1973, and after a short cold ride, I wound up with my first Yamaha, a 1973 RD350. This was the start of my relationship with Don George's Sports Center. 49 years later, and Don's family decided it was time to close down. They were a lot more to me than a place to buy bikes, the people there, Don, his late wife Judy, and kids Don Jr. And Kim, were like family to me. I've had some rough patches over the years, and they were all there to listen, and offer encouragement when I needed it.
Don Sr. has been in poor health recently, my prayers go out for his future health.
Don and Judy were at the unveiling of the Vmax back in 1985, and she told me later that the instant they saw the bike doing the burnout on the stage, they looked at each other and said "Seward's gonna but the first one we sell". I did.
It is a loss to the motorcycle community in the area, and they will be missed.. I dug around in my garage and found an original 1970s vintage dealer license plate frame, it's now put back on Godzilla where it belongs.
Thanks to the George's. You are great friends.

I remember this place. Used to live in NY years and years ago. They could never get me any parts for my Virago at the time despite the bike being older and other dealers being able to find the parts. Once they tried to fail my Virago inspection cause I had red turn lenses on the rear. They acted as turn/brake and everything worked as it should. But they wanted to fail me cause of that. I took my bike went elsewhere and passed. They seemed shady to me back then. After a couple visits and no fruition of help, I never went back.

' 72 post-death of the American Dream. Thank you Nixon voter. Immoralist posing as a moralist. You've never gotten it. Usher in the insurgents now you Trumpian Rube, the Walls are tumbling down.

Back