engine cover insert removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
okay so i shouldn't probably even be asking but hey, what the hell..

anyways, so part numbers 25 and 10 in the following picture. basically the clutch and stator cover inserts. can they be removed without taking the whole case covers off? it looks to me the stator one could be with just two bolts, and i wouldn't even have to drain the oil. so i have a couple questions

1. could either/or be removed without removing the attached cover and/or draining the oil? looks like yes to stator no to clutch as the access screw comes from the back.

2. once removed, should i/will i have to replace any gaskets? or should they be fine?

i'm thinking about having them powdercoated, but i have enough projects with it right now and if i have to replace the gaskets (either for inserts or covers themselves) @ $20 a pop it can hold off.

thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• 1170_crankcasecover1[1].jpg
    1170_crankcasecover1[1].jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 53
I know you can take part 10 off by itself, I have mine off at the moment. It is held on by 2 screws. I'm not sure about part 25 though.

+1 num 10 for sure and looks like 25 can be also garrett, id say uncrew it and see what happens, what could possibly go wrong?

25 no!
You'll have to take the entire cover off to get to the phillips head screw on the inside.
You'll need a new gasket too.

thanks everyone. rovic i would say i can't just 'take it off' i don't think, as i have to take the whole cover off to get to that phillips from the reverse side.

so #10 can come right off, no need to drain oil or anything? willl i need a new gasket (#13 or 11)?

#25 can come off, but i have to take the whole clutch cover off and get a new clutch cover gasket, right? what about part number #26?

not sure if oil will come out when you take off #10, i took mine off and reused the gasket so if it comes off nicely should be good.
if your taking off clutch cover might as well drain oil into clean can and not have to worry about it.
you PC them black i assume?
any luck on the stand yet?

#25 can come off, but i have to take the whole clutch cover off and get a new clutch cover gasket, right? what about part number #26?

That's correct Garrett, whole clutch cover has to come off. I had to remove my gasket in pieces so you should plan on fresh oil should your gasket be similar.

#26 is a re-usable rubber seal that fits in a groove in cover #25.

You will get some oil dripping when you remove the stator cover insert. Not alot but a bit. I put a 6x6 block under my frame/footrest on the opposite side to lean the bike over a bit. Helped minimize the drips and lets you get a better view. That gasket on the stator cover insert is a nice rubber one. Definitely reusable as long as it isn't warped. I found all this out as the screws holding my stator cover on were very loose and oil was dripping from the cover and two screws. The hot oil getting to the gasket must have warped it. I cleaned everything, put it all back together, but there was almost a "wrinkle" in the rubber gasket. It just wouldn't sit flat on the stator cover. Well, even with the bolts tight it leaked with that warped gasket. I bought a new gasket, put a dab of loctite on those bolts, and haven't had a problem since.

OK, for those who are unsure. Most of this has been answered already but.

The insert for the stator cover comes out as mentioned and does not require draining the fluid. It has an o-ring that is on the inner lip of the insert that seals it once it is in place. It does only go one way to align with the inspection plug. The large rubber gasket behind it is mostly for decoration and will come off at the same time. It may stick to either surface but you can leave it on or take it off if you are coating that part. Getting the 2 allen bolts out can sometimes be a chore since they tend to get corroded into place and the bolts are relatively soft. I typically use a manual (hammer) impact to break them loose then you can take them out normally after that.

The clutch side does require removing the entire clutch cover which is pretty simple. Take off the peg and let it hang out of the way. You will need a gasket and if you leave the bike on it's kickstand (not centerstand) you will not need to drain the oil. That Phillips screw (#3 head) will most likely be corroded in place too and the manual impact will come into place on this one. Worst case you can still get the head with a vice grip if needed. Once the screw is removed you can pull the retaining washer off and put the screw back in if desired. The insert is usually stuck in place and a quick whack with a rubber hammer (or if the screw is back threaded in a regular hammer on it's head) will knock it out. Then you can remove the rubber grommet/seal that is in the center as well as the rubber gasket that is there for decoration just behind the cover. When you reinstall it note that the gasket has an alignment area as well as does the cover.

Sean Morley

thanks everyone. sounds like i have my answer.

Sean i appreciate the detailed write up. i did do a search but couldn't find much.

what a PAIN that little phillips head was on the back of the clutch cover. my manual impact couldn't get it was just stripping the head. i ended up putting my vice grips ON a gearwrench screwdriver and found a bit to fit it perfect. took one hand pushing as hard as i could and just cranked with the other. then it came off.

DEFINITELY replacing it with an allen head if i can find one that short, man it was a TINY screw. i have one thats about 2mm or so longer so i was also thinking i could just put a washer and lockwasher in there as well.

what a PAIN that little phillips head was on the back of the clutch cover. my manual impact couldn't get it was just stripping the head. i ended up putting my vice grips ON a gearwrench screwdriver and found a bit to fit it perfect. took one hand pushing as hard as i could and just cranked with the other. then it came off.

DEFINITELY replacing it with an allen head if i can find one that short, man it was a TINY screw. i have one thats about 2mm or so longer so i was also thinking i could just put a washer and lockwasher in there as well.

According to my findings there's much free space beteween clutch plate and that bolt. I have replaced that bolt as well using the longer one allen but, i dont remember if i used a shim or it fits fine in the hole :ummm:

According to my findings there's much free space beteween clutch plate and that bolt. I have replaced that bolt as well using the longer one allen but, i dont remember if i used a shim or it fits fine in the hole :ummm:

i will 'have' to shim it if i don't cut it down as it bottoms out before it becomes tight. a washer and lockwasher seem to make it seat nicely. also looks like they used red locktite on it going in.

Latest posts

Back