Engine flush

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the coolant. I've seen the process which involves draining the engine using the drain valve and then draining each cylinder which seems quite a bit of a faff.

Is it ok to just do the first part, refill with water, run engine and drain again? What little coolant is left in the cylinders will mix with the rest. Maybe repeat again before refilling with water/anti-freeze?

I certainly don't see anything wrong with that approach. Others May disagree, but I'm not going to go crazy just to flush coolant when doing as you suggest will do the job just fine.

In fact, I did just that recently when I brought my 86 back to life. Coolant looked clean and fine, but I drained it twice - the second time after running it for 15 minutes. I don't anticipate any problems having done that.

Nothing wrong in what you suggest but IMO it would be more of a faff to refill and drain than removing the four side plates to drain the cylinders.

I have to confess to not doing mine either, I was afraid the rubber bungs might not seal again, perhaps I should buy some for next time

the main reason being down time if they do leak and I have to wait to get some more, I don't know where to get some from yet anyway

I have to confess to not doing mine either, I was afraid the rubber bungs might not seal again, perhaps I should buy some for next time

Yeah, that's my reasoning, although the bike is low mileage and in good condition, it still is just over 20 years so who knows what is seized.will break, leak etc , probably nothing but....

the main reason being down time if they do leak and I have to wait to get some more, I don't know where to get some from yet anyway

In the unlikely event that there is a leak then a little bit of silicon sealer would give a temporary fix.
Where to get them? This is not intended to sound sarcastic but a Yameringha dealer?
4 x 90338*1152-00 @ $8.38 = $33.52. A fair bit of dosh for something you probably won't need.

thanks yes they are not cheap for what they are, I have found from past experiences that if I take something apart that has a seal or if I do not take something apart that has a seal, the seal will fail :confused:

Back