Engine has a BAD knock...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mefirst

Reaction score
Long story short.. Had an accident, gravle on the road... ended up in a ditch, bike laying on its side and throttle stuck at WFO for about 20-30sec untill I shut it down... Any way... Broke my wrist and two fingers, lycky nothing else, bike a little banged up, but nothing major, and already fixed the cosmetics...

any way... Finally got rid of the cast, hand/wrist is working again, so I took the bike out for a little ride... Engine started to make a bad knocking noise and the oil pressure drops to 0 when temp goes up...

Knocking sound follows rpm.. I cant pinpoint where it comes from but my guess is that where ever it originates its not good :bang head:

So what do you guys think Im gonna find, if I decide to do some major surgery?

Busted rod? Collapsed piston? Messed up main bearings?

Did not seem so at first but guess the engine got hurt when the bike was laying on its side with no oil flow and the throttle wide open... Bike was on its left side...

Thanks...

/Tom :punk:

Ouch! I'd venture that a replacement motor is in your future....The big end bearings are probably toast. Wide open with no load even WITH oil pressure would probably be enough to seriously wound that engine, I think.

Let's hope it's just a wrist pin issue. It's probably something worse, though, given the story.

I'd think the crank/bearings are wiped out from no oil. There had to be major oil pump cavitation from laying on it's side at wot. Doesn't cost anything to take it apart.

Ill just have to open it up and take a look. I do hope its something I can fix.

Thanks Guys :cheers:

Wow glad you can walk away. I'm thinking maybe valve clearance. Any way i hope it's something small.

I'd want to say bearings are shot which means at least a lower block. Might be less serious but will require inspection for sure.

Just glad you survived the crash,Hate you broke your wrist,And the bike.Musta been a pretty good lick.Best of luck,With fixing the max.

Latest posts

Back