Engine mis fire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
Hi guys .I went for a ride yesterday and when I take off I am getting a misfire and I am not sure if its electrical or carb related.I just put on cops last week and took the bike out ounce and it was ok.Today I checked spark on all four plugs and they seem ok.I looked down the carbs and they seem ok.I have last years gas so I am not sure if that may be an issue.Any tips would be most helpful.It happens about every third time I rev her up to about 5-6grand in nuetral also.

Last years gas could be the issue...the gas that we have now is of such poor quality that it will "go bad" and varnish up in about 3 months, and Ive heard of it clogging up a bikes carbs sometimes in under a month.

I chased a misfire issue for a long time

changed a lot of parts and tore down the carbs before determining it was the pick up coil

when it got hot it caused all kinds of issues

I chased a misfire issue for a long time

changed a lot of parts and tore down the carbs before determining it was the pick up coil

when it got hot it caused all kinds of issues
I just put Cops on it a week ago and I think that part of it is Ok .I syphoned out almost all the gas today and put 2 gal of 94 and drove about 8 miles and it still does it a little.I did notice that when I lest it sit for 15-30min and turn the key on ,the fuel pump clicks about a half a dozen times .i am not sure ,should this do this and is it ok .I am thinking maybe if the fuel is draining back to the tank, the pump has to put it back into the carbs ,hence the clicking sound.maybe I have an air leak in the system :ummm:.

I think I will add some b12 Chemtroll fluid to the gas and maybe do a pea shooter to the carbs again.

Check the Front COPS and make sure they are connected to the correct cylinder.
The OLD front Right coil connected to the front LEFT Cylinder and vice versa for the others.
So the Front COPS wires need to cross over to the opposite side as well.
Someone else had a similar problem and it was caused by those front COPS being crossed up.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28727

The OLD front Right coil connected to the front LEFT Cylinder and vice versa for the others.
Someone else had a similar problem and it was caused by those front COPS being crossed up.
I would think it would run real bad if I had the two front ones crossed.Sometimes my Maxine is like a woman on P.M.S.I have one female going through that now ,I dont need two.I put some chemtrol i in it today and mixed it up ,I think I will check the plugs also .I put 4 in a year ago and it ran a little funny.She needs alot of attention when I put her away for 6 months.Maybe i should call her CHRISTINE!!!!:confused2:

Well speaking of COP's...did you close the gap on the spark plugs? I'm wanting to say that the spark plugs with COP's need to be at .026. That might make a difference.

Well speaking of COP's...did you close the gap on the spark plugs? I'm wanting to say that the spark plugs with COP's need to be at .026. That might make a difference.

Gee !,I didnt touch the gap ,I just put them in .You think that could be an issue with the increased out put I wouldnt think so.

The Gap for those COPS is definitely .026 and the Stock COIL Gap was .031-.035.
That difference could possibly cause it run a bit rough.

There was a thread here where a guy had put COP's on...and couldnt see an increase in gas mileage...anything. He reread the instructions...gapped the plugs to .026 and gas mileage went from in the 20's to in the 30's. Unfortunately I looked for the thread....but couldnt find it.

Dont know if it IS the problem, but it might help solve some of the problem.

I went out to the garage and checked out some of my other plugs I have and the gap is pretty close .I am a machinist by trade and a gap that is even TEN THOUSANDS BIG IS ABOUT 3TO 4 HAIRS OFF YOUR HEAD .So with the juice these systems put out I think they are forgiving to a gap thats 10to 15 thousands big.

Latest posts

Back