Engine noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
i really need to post a video of the noise but it doesn’t sound like a rod or wrist pin noise. Sounds like maybe the cam chains... tensioner perhaps? Anyone have to replace them due to noise? I’ll post a video of it soon

Yep, posting a video would help with trying to determine the sound. Like Steve said, are you running stock exhaust? Its double walled, and sometimes the inner pipe (I believe....) can come loose and generate a noise that sounds kinda like a rod knock.

Full voodoo exhaust. Thought of the clamps, those are tight. I’ll try and get a vid this weekend. Hope everyone has a safe holiday

Almost sounds like mine. I was always under the impression that Yamaha engines always had a soft sewing machine noise. My Virago makes that noise and my Vmax makes that noise.

Well, I’ve changed the oil four times this season, today being the fourth time. Nothing like really roasting one to make you paranoid lol. Nothing in the oil at all. Oil looked great, but she got a new filter and fresh oil. I have good oil pressure, even while cruising down the road. I talked with a guy that said it could be possible to have a bad wrist pin, perhaps that’s the case. It’s been like that for a few now and with no chunks of junk in my oil, I’m going to send it I think

Back