Engine number and frame number DON'T match. Now what?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Ok so I got buyers goggles yesterday and skipped one of the most basic checks on a vmax, comparing engine and frame number.

Checked this morning and they don't match. Questions that remain are how much does that matter? I'm planning on keeping the bike and making it my own so if it reduces value, o well, as long as it runs and rides good. Should I be worried though? And finally is there a way to tell which isn't the factory stock and what year they are meant to be on?

I think the frame is stock 1998 as the vin checks out as a 98. But that doesn't answer what else on the bike is stock 98 and what else is swapped out.

I'm definitely worried for those repair gremlins sneaking up on me but as long as it rides good for a long time I don't know if I am too worried ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406467564.983867.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406467574.316395.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406467581.800136.jpg

Ok. Thank God. I saw a vmax outlaw.com thing that analyzed the numbers and implied they should match. As well as some "things to look far when buying a vmax" from South Africa that stated they should match

My parts 85 match, frame and motor number 217. But it's not a big deal on a non concours show bike. And parts are so interchangeable that even if gremlins do rear their ugly heads it won't matter.

I believe the early ones matched but they stopped that before long. Don't know why.

Correct. For many of the years they did match but for the last half of the run they didn't always match. Nothing to worry as has already been stated. IF you had purchased a Harley you would have got two vins! One for the engine and one for the frame.

Correct. For many of the years they did match but for the last half of the run they didn't always match. Nothing to worry as has already been stated. IF you had purchased a Harley you would have got two vins! One for the engine and one for the frame.

shocked smiley face.jpg

Them's fightin' words.

karate-102.gif boxer%20kitty.gif :biglaugh:

you can call corporate yamaha and ask if that is the engine that came with that frame. I just had to do that with another yamaha bike.

Latest posts

Back