Engine Powder Coat - Match for Yamaha Low Gloss Black?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barber1303

Reaction score
Anyone found a good match for the '85 (and later models) engine paint "Yamaha Low Gloss Black" in powder coat? I recently realized that Yamaha didn't use the same black paint on all of their engines, and I've mistakenly used high gloss black on several parts. I'd like to start over with a closer match. Anyone with experience matching the factory "low gloss" black engine paint to a modern powder coat?

Thanks!
Chris

Don't know what powder coat but to those who have done it, does scrapping off the powder coat off the aluminium highlighted parts work well?

Correction...I guess the low gloss black was for the wheels. There doesn't seem to be any reference for the engine paint color? For sure, the Eastwood high gloss black powder that I've done a few parts with is too glossy. Maybe I'll just go for a semi-gloss.

I can attest that scraping powder coat off is not ideal. As I've learned this skill (powder coating) I've made many mistakes and have been very thankful for my media blast booth...but even with the blaster, powder coating is a bitch to get off. That stuff is ON there. That said, I plan to polish the shiny bits and then mask them off prior to powder coating so that I don't have to deal with scraping and subsequent polishing.

Thanks for the link...looks like this is an area that needs further exploration. I'll try the semi-gloss to see if its a better match. I'm not hoping to match exactly, but it'd be nice to be close.

Latest posts

Back