Engine Question Please:

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patate657

Brownsville, tx
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Bikes a 1985 Vmax. Very happy with it. And I have a 1984 Venture 1200. Not happy with it. Not bad looking, if you don't man handle the old plastic. Because of this bike I learned to do my own carburetors on my vMax. I did not check out out the Venture well enough when I bought it and the repairs needed where expensive for me. Rebuilt the Carbs. Had the head pulled and the spark plug inlet rethreaded (Had spark plug inserted with Teflon tape)..:rolleyes: Now the famous second gear jumping, has shown up. My question is, can a 1200 vMax engine fit on this Bike? Figured since I have double the cash invested, I might as well keep it and customize it. Just a thought..🤷‍♂️

The day I picked it up. Looks quite a bit different now. Oem windshield added. Stock Oem exhaust also. Top box removed. Removed the stripes and did some Plasti-Dip painting. Grips changed also. All the fuddy-duddy stuff gone. Added a 1982 Yamaha 92 Chrome front fender. Looks much better. Thought I had a picture of it now but can't find it. Post one later. Gonna work on it again soon. Blew a water hose! Like with the vMax I have extra parts leftover.
DSC09429.JPG

Yes, you can swap in the Vmax engine, or a hybrid build. You will have to swap parts over like the shift shaft and pcv chamber but most of it will swap as is. The 85-89's will swap without moving electrcial. The 90-07 would require swapping the pickup coil and flywheel. The 96-07 would require modification to your frame forward lower cross bar to clear the spin on type filter (they also sell kits to convert the older engines to spin on too).
The ideal swap would be an 86-93 Venture 1300 with Vmax heads. Get a lot more power then your current setup.

Having said all of that. I have a bunch of Venture parts (from I think an 84 actually) including a good engine that I would sell pretty cheaply.

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_125522.jpg
    IMG_20200119_125522.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200119_130514.jpg
    IMG_20200119_130514.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 11
I'm not-sure but I think the VBoost has to be removed to fit the space-available.

Sean posted while I was writing. There you have it.

I have the OEM radio antenna, N.I.B. (a polyethylene sleeve, actually) for a Venture like yours.

If someone doesn't swap-over the engine side covers and the valve covers, it's easy to spot a Venture swap into the VMax, because of the differences.

Last edited:
Yes, you can swap in the Vmax engine, or a hybrid build. You will have to swap parts over like the shift shaft and pcv chamber but most of it will swap as is. The 85-89's will swap without moving electrcial. The 90-07 would require swapping the pickup coil and flywheel. The 96-07 would require modification to your frame forward lower cross bar to clear the spin on type filter (they also sell kits to convert the older engines to spin on too).
The ideal swap would be an 86-93 Venture 1300 with Vmax heads. Get a lot more power then your current setup.

Having said all of that. I have a bunch of Venture parts (from I think an 84 actually) including a good engine that I would sell pretty cheaply.
Sounds Good. Thank you. May have a future project..? I'll keep you in mind over the venture parts.

I'm not-sure but I think the VBoost has to be removed to fit the space-available.

Sean posted while I was writing. There you have it.

I have the OEM radio antenna, N.I.B. (a polyethylene sleeve, actually) for a Venture like yours.

If someone doesn't swap-over the engine side covers and the valve covers, it's easy to spot a Venture swap into the VMax, because of the differences.
This Venture didn't have any of the radio stuff. I'm not to big on radios or stereo system on my bikes. I've set up a Helmet with Blue tooth for my phone and Pandora. Buttttt I get bored easily, so I did setup a Marine Wired remote system on an 88 Goldwing I had for the hell of it.
DSC05430.JPG
DSC05590.JPG

Back