Engine Shipping options?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice and experiences shipping a motor within the US (from IL to CA). Individual to individual. I've read that one method is strap the engine to a wooden skid and there are companies that take it from there...

Any good/ bad experiences you could share? The motor is a bit smaller than a Vmax mill.

Thanks gents!

I made one hell of a heavy duty box out of 3/4 " plywood and ship a motor to Morley Muscle.

if you can build off a wooden skid, build your box around the motor and nail the box to the skid. That way the trucking company can move the box on the skid with hand skid jack or fork truck. Make sure that you keep you box no wider than the skid. 2'x4' frame and 3/4' plywood to close it in. I would use a few straps inside to keep the motor from shifting inside the box you make.

As previously posted, the best way is to put it on a pallet. I shipped mine on a pallet (server pallet) and using 3/4" plywood I made two rails that bolted onto the motor mounts and held the bottom of the engine off the pallet. I then padded it with foam sections from various computer server crated we had received. Then I fit the box that came with the server pallet around the whole setup and shipped to Sean, about 275 lbs. If I were to do it again I would use plywood for the box sides and maybe a little bigger (wider) pallet than I used.

Brian, just curious ..... what shipping / truck line did you use to transport your engine to Sean ? Did they do a good job for ya ? Would you use them again ? Do you remember what it cost to ship one way ?

Get with me and we can use my shipper if you want. Depends on what condition the covers/paint is in for the methods to ship it.

Sean

Brian, just curious ..... what shipping / truck line did you use to transport your engine to Sean ? Did they do a good job for ya ? Would you use them again ? Do you remember what it cost to ship one way ?
I used Sean's shipping company, I think it ran about $250-300 one way. I drove it down to Gaylord as there were no drop off points in my area.

Typically it's $250 each way unless it's a lot closer to me (or each other).

Sean

if you have the motor on a standard pallet or skid, any shipping company can move it. Fedex or Ups can door to door service it might not be the cheapest but it will get there and insure it for twice the replacement value. That way if they 'break it' you can buy another with no problems.
Here are some links to check for shipping
http://www.homeshipping.com/products/domestic.asp
https://www.amerijet.com/doortodoor-services
http://www.courierbrokers.com/post-courier-delivery.php
any of these can get the job done, shop around get your best deal.

Heavy card board box that your engine fits in. Doubled up heavy trash bags in bottom of box. Spray can of expanding foam insulation in bag. Quickly set motor on bag, so that the foam in it swells up around the bottom and a little on the sides. Stuff double bags all four sides and lightly foam. Strap box to pallet. This is how the last engine I bought was packed and shipped.

We build our crates to specifically fit each engine we ship. We build a small skid and cradle for the engine and then frame and box the engine into it. I just sent an engine to both Israel and Germany without a hitch. You gotta remember that just like everything else its all in the prep work. I would not ever consider using UPS again after they lost an engine. I have had great luck with DHL and FedEx even U-Ship is a good alternative. Just my experience.

For my engine shipping needs UPS was ridicuously expensive, more than twice the price of FedEx. I even called back trying a different shipping agent in-case the first one wasn't familiar w/the rates & methods of shipment. Same weight, same method, bare engine strapped to a pallet w/steel strapping, blocks, and motor express to a terminal for customer pick-up, drop-off was by customer fully-palletized and ready-to-go after common carrier inspection prior to acceptance. I still don't know why UPS wanted so-much more $$$ except that's their rate, "T.I.O.L.I"
(take it or leave it)

That method of foam in a bag sounds very well-protected.

It wasn't that long ago "a113ycat" regaled us with his frustration over UPS losing his shipment. Guess someone somewhere needed it more than he did (delivered)!

For my engine shipping needs UPS was ridicuously expensive, more than twice the price of FedEx. I even called back trying a different shipping agent in-case the first one wasn't familiar w/the rates & methods of shipment. Same weight, same method, bare engine strapped to a pallet w/steel strapping, blocks, and motor express to a terminal for customer pick-up, drop-off was by customer fully-palletized and ready-to-go after common carrier inspection prior to acceptance. I still don't know why UPS wanted so-much more $$$ except that's their rate, "T.I.O.L.I"
(take it or leave it)

That method of foam in a bag sounds very well-protected.

It wasn't that long ago "a113ycat" regaled us with his frustration over UPS losing his shipment. Guess someone somewhere needed it more than he did (delivered)!
Fortunately for me I get a 66% discount on all UPS shipping from my employer.

Hi all,

Quick update on this topic.

1./ Thank you all for your suggestions - some very good ideas I hadn't considered before.

2./ I ended up shipping the motor (a Triumph Triple 955cc mill) from Chicago to LA for $149.00 using Forward Air. They ship airport to airport, and go by weight and size. I placed the engine inside a huge rubbermaid tub (in case fluids leaked) and strapped it down to a 3ft x 3ft wooden pallet given to me by a local grocery store. Total shipping weight was 223lbs.
I recommend you check out this service if needed - it's a bit of work to bring it all to the shipping company, but the cost was good IMO.

Within the last couple of years, I got an engine from AR to FL via FedEx terminal to terminal. It was strapped to a pallet w/metal perforated strapping which was secured using fasteners of the engine. It was very solidly-done and made the trip w/no problems. I don't recall the exact cost but I think it was between the $250-300 range, closer to the top.

UPS wanted $800!!!!!! OK, $775... .I asked them, "why so-much when your competitors are less than 1/2 that?"

"That's 'our price,' sir!" :confused2:

Just for curiousity, post-up what you get on a bid from them so we can all have a good laugh!:rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back