Enrichment circuit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemax04

Reaction score
Started the bike today and let it warm up a bit. As the RPMs grew, I brought the choke lever up some and noticed a few pops in feeling the choke assembly. Could it be that the valves (?) in the enrichment circuit are sticking a bit and not sliding smoothly? That's what it felt like anyway. Any coment will be appreciated.

Peashooter won't clean sticking enricheners if that's the problem. It'll clean PAJ1, PFJ, mains and pilot exit chamber though.

I'd clean and lubricate all the joints/pivot points in the choke linkage before I jacked around with the carbs themselves.

Right by the main lever there is actually a "slider/tensioner" thingie that has some plastic washers and stuff on it and a nut or bolt that sets the tension so that the choke stays where you put it. When mine was feeling hinky it was dirt/no lube at that tensioner.

Sometimes it's the easy stuff.

Last edited:
wfcall said:
I'd clean and lubricate all the joints/pivot points in the choke linkage before I jacked around with the carbs themselves.

Right by the main lever there is actually a "slider/tensioner" thingie that has some plastic washers and stuff on it and a nut or bolt that sets the tension so that the choke stays where you put it. When mine was feeling hinky it was dirt/no lube at that tensioner.

Sometimes it's the easy stuff.
I've already done that Rusty and also lubed the tensioner. Bike has been sitting for two months and unlike the usual start-up, sitting on it, I had my hand on the carb and linkage and could feel two pops about a second after taking the choke off. Bike only has 10K on it and am just wondering if this sticking situation isn't what causes problems of bike running poorly, which many are experiencing and using the shotgun treatment for a cure? Just thought I'd get some opinions from those that know these carbs a lot better than I do. Had a CB750 that I kept for 35 years and never had a real problem with those 4 carbs. Overhauled them once in all that time. My Max, as with many other new Maxes was complaining already after 7K.:confused2:

Mike, it may just be a bit out of sync. Did you use fuel stabilzer? That'll do it too if you use more than 1-2 ounces.

maleko89 said:
Mike, it may just be a bit out of sync. Did you use fuel stabilzer? That'll do it too if you use more than 1-2 ounces.
Thanks for the come-back MarK. Have never used any additives in the gas. Right now it's running great but that possibility is always on my mind being out in noman's land and the carbs start acting up. Sync seems to be good and tried all the suggestions posted of 4K WOT etc. recently posted. It's a great bike but injection would make it more worry free.

Back