Entering Drag Race - Hungary

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Here's the scoop... I raced my old '88 FJ1200 at a 1/4 mile track here in Hungary back in 2010 and 2011. Yes, I had nearly the slowest bike there. But that was maybe the most fun I've had since living in Hungary. They have different rules here. I am not a licensed racer, so I sign two release forms, have the bike inspected and hit the track 5 minutes later. Extreme personal responsibility... as it should be. I am friends with the track manager, who enjoys the fact that an American is racing on his track. It costs about $20 to race on the track for two days!

The next race event is Thursday and Friday. I had a business trip planned for the UK, but looks like that will be cancelled, freeing me up to RACE THE V-MAX. I'm getting really excited. I read and digested an article posted here about launching the V-Max. I am certainly a novice, but I was able to crank out 11.74 / 188 Km/h on the FJ. The risk is that the track is 5 hours away and I plan to ride there. If I break something, I'm stuck there. The other risk is that I still have a wobble. I've learned that uneven or bumpy roads seem to inflict the wobble. I'm thinking I have a wheel tracking problem. But the track is straight and level. Hopefully it will be fine.

NEED SOME SHIFTING ADVICE.

A Hungarian friend teases me all the time for using the clutch through each shift... as I've done for 27 years. I understand the V-Max has second gear issues, so certainly clutch from first to second. But after second gear, should I just bang through the gears on the track without the clutch? Seems hard on it to me, but my friend says I would bring my ET down significantly.

Thoughts? :confused2:

And video...

http://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Lotsokids/Kunmadaras%20Drag%20Races/DragRace.mp4

Yes clutch through second gear or you will break a driveshaft or 2nd gear. After that you can just fan the clutch if you want to be a little easier with it.

Here is the second time I had taken my 99 out. I was still learning its launch. But you can hear the fan of the clutch, I don't lift the throttle, only slightly blip it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9uRHdaaUuA

Here I finally got the launch down. Strapping the front helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFl5NborKCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qXJIdeQEuU

I also found the inaccuracy of the factory tach, I would shift around 10,200 on the tach which is probably around 9800, maybe 10,000. Most people will tell you to short shift the bike, but I found that the torque range was sweeter by reving up a little higher, and thus the gear change drop would put you into more of the power band down low.

I launched at 4200 rpm, clutch all out and throttle pinned, feet up by the 60 foot mark or sooner, tucked down and ready for second gear. Full clutch and let off the throttle a touch more than the other gears, and then from there the throttle is pinned with only a very slight blip between shifts and a quick tap on the clutch between gears.

Good luck and have fun.

Fun to watch Todd, thanks for the tutorial. Lapeer is just down the road from my friend in Lake Orion.

What kinda comments did your VMax get from the other racers?

Race Report

Well, not really. I sucked. I didn't qualify, but you can imagine the bikes in my class. Again, I'm just a novice. I tried clutching and not (after second gear). Without clutch was my second slowest ET and speed. I also released the throttle too much when shifting. I dumped the clutch too much, and didn't rev enough at launch, but I got better. Spun the rear wheel about 3 times.

My best time was 11.77 @187 with a reaction time of .44.
I ran a better time on the same track in 2011 on a FJ1200 - 11.74.

Funny thing was owning most bikes in my class to 60 feet. :eusa_dance: Even in the video below, I lined up with a BMW 1000RR. But of course, you know how it ends.

It only cost about $22 to run a 1/4 mile track for 2 days! No special license, just need to sign a release form. Simple actually.

DSCF2810_zpslfjcvrxj.jpg

DSCF2820_zpsovmvdbun.jpg

VIDEOS

Shifting without clutch.
Reaction Time: .16
ET: 12.06 @ 179 Km/H
:icon_rolleyes:

http://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Lotsokids/Kunmadaras Drag Races/Vmax_drag_zpsdupndxpg.mp4

Below is a video with the GoPro on my helmet. You can see the shift light functioning.
My launch is not good and other errors mentioned above.

Reaction Time: .36
ET: 11.96 @ 184 Km/H

http://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Lotsokids/Kunmadaras%20Drag%20Races/Vmax_drag2_zpsnrszuwad.mp4

Close the vents on your helmet, take off the mirrors, take half the air out of the back tire and that windscreen is not doing much for you and learn to speedshift (i never let off the gas at anytime) You can lower the front end by raising the fork tubes in the triple clamp ( i don't encourage strapping the front end down as you lose rebound and the risk of ill handling) Lean forward on take off.Keep your body at the lowest center as you possibly can AT ALL TIMES- stage deep unless you are worried about your et's and work on the reaction time as it is the most important.
To better your reaction times leave on the last yellow light.

Last edited:
Deep staging here after the tree is activated results in a big fat RED LIGHT. Some tracks don't allow it on Street Event nights.

Deep staging here after the tree is activated results in a big fat RED LIGHT. Some tracks don't allow it on Street Event nights.
I'm sure it is - after the tree is activated any movement is a redlight.
Put a "D" after your number and put the the top light out. The starter will have to wait for you.
Some pro trees it is not allowed at some tracks. Best to ask- and for god sakes measure the roll out in each lane first.

Every bit helps.
Excuse me for being professional.

Yeah, I was just running down the track, doing the best I can, and having fun.
You were getting pretty deep into the details that I know nothing about. At my level: GREEN LIGHT = GO!

It's all good. Don't be offended. You were just trying to help.

Taking mirrors off a street bike that runs 11's wont do anything. Taking 20 lbs off will. But to make a street bike faster, mirrors= more pain in the ass to remove and put back on for no gain. So I guess what I am saying is just practice for now.

Just having fun is just getting seat time. More seat time will show bigger improvements than putting on performance parts or removing weight. Once you get bit by the drag racing bug, then removing items and go fast stuff starts to become more prevalent.

Taking mirrors off a street bike that runs 11's wont do anything. Taking 20 lbs off will. But to make a street bike faster, mirrors= more pain in the ass to remove and put back on for no gain. So I guess what I am saying is just practice for now.

Just having fun is just getting seat time. More seat time will show bigger improvements than putting on performance parts or removing weight. Once you get bit by the drag racing bug, then removing items and go fast stuff starts to become more prevalent.

I can see you have limited experience.

Ok, there's only one way to settle this....is to meet in the middle and have it out! GRUDGE MATCH!

Truett & Osborn's 2015, 44th Annual All Bikes Drag Races. North Wichita, KS. Aug 15th & 16th!

BE THERE, OR BE SQUARE. PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS. and all that other rot. :biglaugh:

2015 Truett and Osborn drags .jpg

Shala takes on the winner.

Ok, there's only one way to settle this....is to meet in the middle and have it out! GRUDGE MATCH!

Truett & Osborn's 2015, 44th Annual All Bikes Drag Races. North Wichita, KS. Aug 15th & 16th!

BE THERE, OR BE SQUARE. PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS. and all that other rot. :biglaugh:

View attachment 49051

Shala takes on the winner.
I'll be in seattle that week at o'reilly's
That sounds like fun though. But it wouldn't be fair- he is a bracket racer.

Back