ER-1 and ER-2 Error Codes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradx2579

Reaction score
I've looked around the site a little and haven't been able to find anything about the 2009 error codes, I apologize in advance if this has been covered in a previous post. The problem I'm having is the bike seems to just be cutting the spark and then I get a ER-1 and/or and ER-2 Error code on the LCD display. This even happens when I'm riding down the road, the bike just cuts off and the engine light comes on. Luckily I haven't been out in traffic when this happens... I do have a Power Commander V and an Akrapovic exhaust, everything else is stock. I have tried reprogramming the Power Commander and I've aLso disconnected it completely and I'm still having the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the ECU codes for the Yamaha Raider and I would assume would apply to all of Yamaha's EFI bikes.

The Following Are ECU (Engine Control Unit) Failures

All Result In A Dead Engine

ER-1..No Signals Are Received From The ECU (output error)

ER-2 No Signals Are Received From The ECU (within a certain duration)

ER-3 Data From ECU Received Incorrectly

ER-4 Bad Data Has been Received From The Meter

Thank you. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? I only have 1200 miles on the bike...

Last edited:
dang man, make sure all the wires and connections are tight, was the bike wet at some point?

Well, I just bought it this past weekend and the guy I got it from told me the last thing he did was wash it and take pictures (drove it to a scenic area to take the pics after washing then drove it home and parked it). He was genuinely concerned about the errors and said he hadn't ever had them before. I did unplug the smaller plug from the ECU to check the power commander connection (grey wire) and then plugged it back in. I haven't tried unplugging the other connector.

Thank you. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? I only have 1200 miles on the bike...

Well both errors have to do with output errors from the ECU. Does the power commander piggy back before or after the ECU? I'll look at my Busa this weekend to see if it modifies inputs to the ECU or the output from the ECU. If it after, it sounds like the Power commander might be an issue, although I know you said you disconnected it and it still produced the same error. Unfortunately I don't own a Gen2 but I may be able to help you work through it.

Thanks for all the information guys. I did take the bike in for initial servicing last Wed. and when the mechanic put the VIN into the system he said there was a recall on mine (I read a little about this in the forums before hand) which has to do with a high resistance terminal connection from the factory and it causes throttling problems because of signals not reaching the ECU... Anyways, they had to add a sub-harness from Yamaha to take care of the recall and when I got the bike back Sat. afternoon it rode like a champ and I haven't seen any error codes! To answer the Power Commander question, it is installed inline with the factory harness's and only one gray from the PC connects to a wihite wire in the ECU plug.

Latest posts

Back