Ethanol vs Non-Ethanol

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Hey all, I apologize in advance for the novel.
I’m new to the forum & picking up my very first Vmax. 2014, 2500 miles. Has quite a bit of niceties already on it. Don’t know a whole lot since the prior owner bought it as is from a dealership in south Florida. Things like wide tire kit, Brock’s full system, Sato rearsets, etc.
Outside of that he isn’t sure of internals, ECU, PC3, etc
I’m picking it up this weekend, and hauling back to Jacksonville. I’ll be taking to our local Yamaha shop (Beach Blvd. Motorsports) for a service and piece of mind. The service guy actually sounded somewhat excited when I talked to him since they don’t see that many Vmax’s.
One of the soon to be plethora of questions is should I use premium gas (93 oct) or 89 ethanol-free gas?
Thank you!
And any other advice anyone has is GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

• 6F6C6E6C-6A74-4F71-BF7C-CF97C4F74994.jpeg
    6F6C6E6C-6A74-4F71-BF7C-CF97C4F74994.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 23
Premium fuel only is these beasts. Says it on the sticker when you flip up the seat. 91 octane or higher. Sticker won't be there if it's an aftermarket........I don't think, lol. Nice looking ride!!!!!

Please note. For NORMAL riding in weather that isn't 100+ degree heat you can get by on any rating of fuel available. For hard loads (racing) in higher heat you'll want to use 91-92 octane.

I'm goin to make an assumption that the ECU was re-flashed by Gurued Gear. I believe all their standard tunes are created with 91 octane E10 gasoline so I'd recommend that for best performance.

Hey Guys.. I don't have a newer max "YET", but I've been FORCED to become a huge advocate of keeping the fuel system clean. Now knowing what ethanol can do to an UN-COATED tank (and everything connected to it), I have to ask the question.. Are the newer 97 - 20XX tanks coated? Did they take into account how ethanol draws in water from the atmosphere and in most cases, cause huge rust buildup inside a steel tank that fouls up carb-jets, pumps and lines?? Just curious.. NICE Bike by the way - Good luck with it... One day i'll get a newer model :)..

Hey Guys.. I don't have a newer max "YET", but I've been FORCED to become a huge advocate of keeping the fuel system clean. Now knowing what ethanol can do to an UN-COATED tank (and everything connected to it), I have to ask the question.. Are the newer 97 - 20XX tanks coated? Did they take into account how ethanol draws in water from the atmosphere and in most cases, cause huge rust buildup inside a steel tank that fouls up carb-jets, pumps and lines?? Just curious.. NICE Bike by the way - Good luck with it... One day i'll get a newer model :)..

The Gen 2 has a plastic tank. That solves 90% of all fuel related problems IMO.

I'm goin to make an assumption that the ECU was re-flashed by Gurued Gear. I believe all their standard tunes are created with 91 octane E10 gasoline so I'd recommend that for best performance.

Do you happen to have his contact/email? I’ll reach out to him and see if he did re-flash the ecu.
Thanks!

Do you happen to have his contact/email? I’ll reach out to him and see if he did re-flash the ecu.
Thanks!

If you just get eyes on the ECU you'll know right away because it'll have a big Gurued Gear sticker on it.

I even run Non Ethanol in My Weed Whacker.... My Brother in Law made a Fortune rebuilding Fuel Systems of people that used Ethanol. Ethanol just doesn't cut it for me. Ethanol is 20% less efficient vs a Non Ethanol. That even when the vehicle is set up to run it. I run enough High performance engines that I only trust Non Ethanol with Stabil if it's going to set for any length of time. JMHO but one I will stand by till I can't get it anymore...

I even run Non Ethanol in My Weed Whacker.... My Brother in Law made a Fortune rebuilding Fuel Systems of people that used Ethanol. Ethanol just doesn't cut it for me. Ethanol is 20% less efficient vs a Non Ethanol. That even when the vehicle is set up to run it. I run enough High performance engines that I only trust Non Ethanol with Stabil if it's going to set for any length of time. JMHO but one I will stand by till I can't get it anymore...
I run non-eth in anything I can, just concerned being it’s not 93 octane, only 89.

I run non-eth in anything I can, just concerned being it’s not 93 octane, only 89.
I tune for 91 octane. The guy that bought Skullduggery (High Compression Motor, around 13:1) has been running 90 Octane with no complaints. Runs Fine...I hate that the Govt. snuck Ethanol in. Everything I owned ran like crap until I figured it out.

Latest posts

Back