Evel Knievel jumping buses at Wembley Stadium UK 1975

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read that when the jump was all set up Evil's people realized a mistake had been made. The buses were slightly wider than they allowed for. He knew he wasn't going to make it for the speed he was going to be going and it was to late to send back to the States for a different rear sprocket. Evil decided not to disappoint the crowd and took an half hour nap before he jumped.
Forestdaledave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lPCK8hptg8&feature=player_embedded

Be sure to listen to the Walter Cronkite narrative about the stunt. The undertone sound heard when showing his landing, beginning at ~1:12 sec., and which sounds like a tachycardic heart rate, is a nice touch.

The house I grew up in , is only about 1-1/4 miles from his jump site on the Snake River Canyon in Twin Falls Idaho. I now live about 11 miles from the ramp , yet my mother still lives in the same house. Now with "Ed" something getting ready for another attempt in sept of 2014 the buzz around town should be very interesting :eusa_dance:
G

One of my FL friends went from there to see the Snake River jump. He was pretty disappointed in the jump but he said he had a good time otherwise. Maybe if Evel had used the original design he might have made it.

One of my FL friends went from there to see the Snake River jump. He was pretty disappointed in the jump but he said he had a good time otherwise. Maybe if Evel had used the original design he might have made it.

Lol he deployed the chute before he was even totally off the ramp. It was a stunt that wasn't even supposed to be completed, all he said was " he would attempt it" . After years have gone by many things have surfaced about that day and also how he left owing many people money. When his son looked into trying it the city basically told him to pound sand unless he wanted to settle his fathers debts. With this new guy he had to front 1 million before the city would even consider him. Like I said it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds

G

I think the first design was a rocket he was going to ride, but then he changed to a conventional motorcycle design because he didn't have faith in the Slim Pickens-style "Dr. Strangelove" final scene-looking device.

He was thrown in jail in south FL after that when he leased a yacht, and while using it on the Intracoastal Waterway, pulled it to the side of the seawall at a bridge, when the bridge tender wouldn't raise it soon-enough to suit him. Evel stormed the bridgekeeper's hut and used a bat to break the poor guy's arm.

The yacht owner also sued him for destroying much of the interior of the yacht during his use.

Lol he deployed the chute before he was even totally off the ramp. It was a stunt that wasn't even supposed to be completed, all he said was " he would attempt it" . After years have gone by many things have surfaced about that day and also how he left owing many people money. When his son looked into trying it the city basically told him to pound sand unless he wanted to settle his fathers debts. With this new guy he had to front 1 million before the city would even consider him. Like I said it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds

G

I think the first design was a rocket he was going to ride, but then he changed to a conventional motorcycle design because he didn't have faith in the Slim Pickens-style "Dr. Strangelove" final scene-looking device.

He was thrown in jail in south FL after that when he leased a yacht, and while using it on the Intracoastal Waterway, pulled it to the side of the seawall at a bridge, when the bridge tender wouldn't raise it soon-enough to suit him. Evel stormed the bridgekeeper's hut and used a bat to break the poor guy's arm.

The yacht owner also sued him for destroying much of the interior of the yacht during his use.

They called it a sky cycle if I remember correctly, yet it was basically a pressure cooker that deployed steam for propulsion ( if I am correct) but he did actually sit in the cockpit .

G

Latest posts

Back