everyone see's this sooner or later

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93vmaxmi

Reaction score
has anyone done the shimming and measuring that is in the drive train section of the service manual? if so please pm me or post your experience so we can talk. thanks
phil

Frankly never heard of anyone messing with this unless it's broken. Playing with rear end clearances is basically a rebuild I think.

Rusty

I went 112,000 miles on my last vmax and never had a problem. I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

:cheers: Mike

The drive shaft operates dry. There's oil in the middle gear/countershaft area behind the u-joint and then final drive oil rearward of the driveshaft.

Even with all the engines I have built I don't normally mess with it.

Sean

My drive pinion gear broke in mine after about 28,000 miles :damn angry:!! To acquire a new gear would have been a sheer act of God, but then to shim everything to spec would have required a miracle. I ended up purchasing the whole "pumpkin" and had it installed at a local bike shop. Within 100 miles the bearings went out on that one (brand new), got another one under warranty and so far I have about 8,000 miles on it. It's much more noisy than my stock pumpkin, the shop said the new ones will make some noise. I hope this one lasts cuz I really don't care to purchase another one at $650 now!!!

My drive pinion gear broke in mine after about 28,000 miles :damn angry:!! To acquire a new gear would have been a sheer act of God, but then to shim everything to spec would have required a miracle. I ended up purchasing the whole "pumpkin" and had it installed at a local bike shop. Within 100 miles the bearings went out on that one (brand new), got another one under warranty and so far I have about 8,000 miles on it. It's much more noisy than my stock pumpkin, the shop said the new ones will make some noise. I hope this one lasts cuz I really don't care to purchase another one at $650 now!!!

I would stop using that shop! Sounds like they are idiots.Most do not know anything about Vmax's.

Sounds like that they are tightening it to specs which is too tight. makes the diff run too hot and wears it out prematurely.

Try switching to the BG rear diff lubricant. Full synthetic. Works very good.

Sean

If you're talking about the rear axle then yeah...what the manual states is too tight. I torque mine to 35-40 ft/lbs.

Sounds like that they are tightening it to specs which is too tight. makes the diff run too hot and wears it out prematurely.

Try switching to the BG rear diff lubricant. Full synthetic. Works very good.

Sean

I'm running Valvoline 80W90 Hypoid gear oil (according to service manual specs). Not aware of the BG brand!

I would stop using that shop! Sounds like they are idiots.Most do not know anything about Vmax's.

I don't go there anymore except for maybe replacing tires. They don't deal much with Yamaha's. If I need intense service in the future I'll take it somewhere else.

hows you butt feel after that?

It was scary as Hell when it first broke. I took off from a stop sign, not aggressive, and it all of a sudden got very noisy. Every time I would engage the clutch after that it would vibrate pretty bad. I'm probably lucky I made it home (13 mile drive). Not to mention this experience made my wallet a whole lot lighter!!:damn angry:

There must have been just enough pressure on the gear shaft to grip and get the back tire moving. When the shop took it apart the piece just fell right out of it!!

Back