Exhaust change and then some

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelroamer

Reaction score
hi guys,
I have an 85 with what I believe is the stage 6 kit, v boost removed and a 4 into 1 Kerker on it. I am looking at starting to get it closer to stock and would like to put the stock exhaust back on and then eventually put the stock carbs and v boost back on it. Can I just put the stock exhaust on it and run it like that for now? Oh and by the way if I can I have a really loud kerker 4into1 for sale! Thanks for your input

No such thing as a stage 6. Just stage one, stage seven, factory pro, and our Morleys Muscle kit. Post of a picture and we can try and see what it is you have. You may or may not be able to put the stock back on as is. But if you have the pod filters (stage seven) you may need to make some additional changes if you want it to run properly.

Oh ok. I do have the pod filters and just a tube between the carbs where the vboost would have been. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Most likely air correctors installed, since it's a full stage 7. It can be tuned to run good. It just takes a little more work. That's a top end set up for sure. A different type of sync gauge is needed to set the carbs up. Edelbrock makes one there are others too. Putting the stock exhaust on won't work well, right now. Putting some 2- 1/2" stacks under the filters makes it a little more streetable. Mark Milne has a thread on here about that. I ran that way for a while, but with the vboost installed. The air box is hard to beat engineering wise. For stock engines.

Last edited:
ok so what would be the easiest way to make it less unbelievably loud? sounds crazy I know...is there a bolt on exhaust that will work with this setup that is more street friendly?

Take a photo of the muffler outlet and post it. It will help the member here identify what baffle you are running in the muffler. There are a couple options. The race baffle is quite loud. If you put in a smaller baffle, it will mellow it out a bit. That is the easiest way to go about it.

What exactly is a "Morleys Muscle Kit"?
It's similar to the stage 7 kit, but uses a modified lid on the stock air box. Good set up. Very streetable. You would only need the air box lid and probably some main jet change. You have the stage 7 by-pass tubes, myself, I'd look for a used vboost set up. Especially if the controller is still on your ride.

It's similar to the stage 7 kit, but uses a modified lid on the stock air box. Good set up. Very streetable. You would only need the air box lid and probably some main jet change. You have the stage 7 by-pass tubes, myself, I'd look for a used vboost set up. Especially if the controller is still on your ride.

Any chance that you know the price? I know zip about my VMax, it's a '92, and the dealer said by way of checking the vin # that it's 145 hp.

Current Muscle Jet kit pricing:
Your options
$300 - Muscle Jet Kit - Customer to mod airbox lid and install filter (nothing to return)
$325 - Muscle Kit - Morleys to mod lid and send on an exchange (old lid to be returned)
$375 - Muscle Kit - Modified lid outright (nothing to return)

Sean, so I send you my airbox lid and $325.00, then you mod the lid and send the correct jets to accomplish exactly what? Does mine actually have the complete V-boost system? (1992 Jap. model)

Yes, Either you can send your lid first (though most chose to get the one from me then send the old one back). There is a selection of jets, air correctors, needles, springs, crankcase vent system, filter, and misc. This will allow your engine to operate at peak efficiency. NOTE, you do need a full header to take advantage of the increased air flow going in.

We'd need to see more of your intake and under the scoop to know if you have a Vboost in place currently. I think most Jap spec models did not have the Vboost and some even had restrictors in the slides of the carbs.

Sean

Latest posts

Back