Exhaust Comparision, Marks 4-2 , UFO 4-2 and Walker 4-2.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my new to me UFO 4-2 Slash cuts, and have not mounted them yet, but from what I see, they are very high quality- perfect mandrel bends, excellent welds and a really nice ceramic coating- These are used, and still look new! If you jump when the oppurtunity arises, you can save some $ on a set, like I did. As far as ridiculously loud- That's kinda what i"m lookin for! :biglaugh: I have some limited fab experience, and can definitely see why they are priced as high as they are..... Just my .02

Exactly what I'm looking for, Chopcor. If you see/hear (literally) of another set of any UFO pipes keep me in mind will ya??
Once you get those bad boys installed, can you please link up a vid?? And I'd love for you to tell us all about them!!
-Karma-

Sure will! Just gotta find the time......This workin crap is seriously cutting into my mod monkey time....:damn angry:

Exactly what I'm looking for, Chopcor. If you see/hear (literally) of another set of any UFO pipes keep me in mind will ya??
Once you get those bad boys installed, can you please link up a vid?? And I'd love for you to tell us all about them!!
-Karma-

I bought mine used but never fitted, still in the box. The original UFO' with the normal cans. $500

Hang in there and keep looking.

Matter of opinion but they were polished stainless and beautiful, and were beautiful again every time I polished them which is a huge pita on stainless. In between polishing they looked like hell.

Had them ceramic coated and have been happy ever since.

I'd stay away from polished stainless unless its a garage queen that will never see dirt grime or water.

Hmm...a garage queen.. Does she have a sister?? Low-maintainance those garage-queens!! She'll pour your beer, change your oil and polish your SS pipes!! She's a keeper!!

Hmm...a garage queen.. Does she have a sister?? Low-maintainance those garage-queens!! She'll pour your beer, change your oil and polish your SS pipes!! She's a keeper!!

I know one of them. His wife don't let him ride it may get 100 miles on it a summer. I'd boot the bitch to the curb. She says jump he ask how high?

Back in the day, I build more then a few set of pipes. It would take me anywhere from 3 days to a week to build a set . And believe me, no one but a drag racer would love them. They didn't look good at all, but the times I turned with them were wonderful. For my suzy drag bike, I made up 11 different sets until I got the power where I wanted it. I had a bunch of people say they wanted pipes like mine for their bikes, so I figured I'd make a million dollars making pipes. It took me 10 days to make up jigs and fixtures and take apart my "good" set to duplicate the bends for my "production" pipes. It took me another two weeks to bend up enough pipe to make 10 sets , and build 6 sets. I sold 3 sets for a total of $1500. You see it was only the hard core drag bikes that were running the 2 valve heads. Lots of time, expense, and low demand- I lost my shirt. I could earn a lot more by just building engines.

I'm amazed We still have a choice of at least 4 quality systems. They are not over priced.

Keep in mind that a well tuned setup will make 7-10% more power. That's significant. A roll on with a stock bike and one of them with my kit and header will not even be close. Probably 7-10 bike lengths in the quarter.

Sean

The cost of these after-market pipes amaze me! Can you imagine the profit for each pipe sold?

I would guess that in a roll on race between my stock 05 against a stage 7 or Morley kit with any of these $1000 pipes plus set-up's, roll on's in different ranges, that there would for sure not be a big enough difference to even come close to $1000 plus investment in the vastly over priced set up's.

Rip off comes to mind.

O

I have a stock (97) and I ride with guys that have these after market pipes (with the proper jetting) You want to do a 1st gear roll on from anything above 30 mph against one of these guys and I'll put as much as you want to wager on the guy with the pipes. And I'm not talking inches- more like bike lengths. There are dozens of dyno runs on bikes with these pipes, some show the results of a stock exhaust vs the after market on the same bike. Talk the the guys that build the engines, they will tell you you can only get so much HP out of the stock head pipe.

Now when it comes to using the stock head pipes and after market cans, I agree. In fact I did a few roll ons against a guy with the slip ons the have two cans per side, but stock head pipes. I ate him for lunch, and I weigh enough that I might just as well be riding double.

Sean- Have you ever done back to back dyno runs of the various systems available? If so, what pipes were the best for overall power and torque?

A friend of mine and I went riding the summer after I got my '07. We did some roll on's with his '05 and my bike. we are similar weight, just that I'm about 7" taller. It was pretty close stock to stock. It would vary by who twisted the loud lever first.

Then I put on my Kerker 4-2-1's and shimmed the "Y" and needles, I got an excellent deal on a used set with a carbon fiber can for $500. I would pull pretty consistently, near a couple of bikes on him. Then after the jet kit install (Morley's) that couple of bikes stretched to about 6-7, the mid range pull was a killer.

Then after the cams, it was more lengths. I did play around one time and hit the bottle on him, it wasn't even funny. Looking in the mirror, he joined the horizon pretty quick.At first. he thought something went wrong with his bike.

Keep in mind that a well tuned setup will make 7-10% more power. That's significant. A roll on with a stock bike and one of them with my kit and header will not even be close. Probably 7-10 bike lengths in the quarter.

Sean

Sean,

I would love to see that, a big difference for sure, but need to see it.

I also find it strange that I have never seen dyno runs that with a stage 7 and pipes that go more than 124hp versus mine with 117 and the torque is usually lower on the modified. We also have the issue of the cost of pipes, say $1,050, jet kit by Dyno-jet or Morley, $275 to $300, labor to install and tune in, probably 12 hours, so we are talking alot more than a set of pipes. I would say with all that trouble and expense the roll on race must be a substantial win to justify. Even at that, unless into drag racing on the strip, is it really worth the hassle and loss of resale value over a pure stocker?

I must say Rusty made a great buy for $500 on the UFO.

Maybe this summer I can do some roll on's to see the difference with these modified Maxers.

Thanks Sean for all you do to help this site and the Vmaxers in general, really appreciate it!:clapping:

O

Sean,

I also find it strange that I have never seen dyno runs that with a stage 7 and pipes that go more than 124hp versus mine with 117 and the torque is usually lower on the modified. We also have the issue of the cost of pipes, say $1,050, jet kit by Dyno-jet or Morley, $275 to $300, labor to install and tune in, probably 12 hours, so we are talking alot more than a set of pipes. I would say with all that trouble and expense the roll on race must be a substantial win to justify. Even at that, unless into drag racing on the strip, is it really worth the hassle and loss of resale value over a pure stocker?

Maybe this summer I can do some roll on's to see the difference with these modified Maxers.

Thanks Sean for all you do to help this site and the Vmaxers in general, really appreciate it!:clapping:

O

I've dome dozens and dozens of Roll ons from 1st at 15-20 through 3rd against Barry Barkers stock bike. This was when mine has pipe and jetting only.
His bike routinely handed everyone else In the group their ass. It was in that good of tune.
Both of us weigh around 230

He never beat me, ever, I always took him by 2-4 lengths.

It's not a Dyno I know but it convinces me.

Bear in mind any full exhaust also drops about 25-30 lbs from the bike.

Dyno's don't really mean shit except for bragging rights, horsepower is subjective depending who's dyno your even on to begin with... They are handy for tuning purposes because you can see where the improvement has been made but the only way to know actual horsepower is to run it down the strip and do the math. Unfortunately I think alot of guys with inflated dyno numbers would be kinda disappointed...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Dyno's don't really mean shit except for bragging rights, horsepower is subjective depending who's dyno your even on to begin with... They are handy for tuning purposes because you can see where the improvement has been made but the only way to know actual horsepower is to run it down the strip and do the math. Unfortunately I think alot of guys with inflated dyno numbers would be kinda disappointed...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I disagree. Sorta. The top HP number means nothing except if the tests are on the same dyno. BUT the shape of the curve tells you a LOT about how the bike will feel. example... the Waker dyno curve shows a LOT of HP in the 6000 to 8000 area. The UFO pipes show a steep curve that make their power in the 8000 to 10000 area. On the street, the Waker pipe would be a lot more fun to drive, on the strip the UFO pipe would pull better numbers. The only dyno runs I have seen with the marks pipes also included other mods (not a stock engine) but it seems to be more like the Walker pipe.

Most dyno runs also show an O2 trace. This shows what is going on inside the engine at what RPM. This info is ultra important when working out jetting and needles. It also shows developers if what they are doing is really doing any good, and suggests problems they can make something to solve. When you get up to FI bikes, it allows the tuners to really customize the fuel map.

But you are right if a guy says "I got 145 on Shifty Sams Dyno and you only got 118 on Honest Larry's dyno... So my bike is better". the type of dyno makes a big difference too. If the run is on a dyno jet dyno, the actual numbers mean little except if you are comparing the number on the same dyno.

Re: Exhaust Comparison, Marks 4-2 , UFO 4-2 and Walker 4-2.

Sean,

O

Modified Stock Carbs, Stock Air Box with Vboost and slightly higher than normal compression ratio. Imagine what Sean's Jet Kit would do.
Kerker4-1/Marks 12" Can. 126.01 HP, 83.63 TQ, Nuff Said.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKcnE_mclU&list=UUWyGV-mQ59XmMnV1fHV4Fgw&index=2

What is slightly higher? My bike is tuned well and its only puting out 118hp on two different dyno's. Both dyno's have the same number's. I ran it on a dyno before i did the ufo and stage 7 and it put out 114hp. I had a stock bike with the center deflector plate drilled out to match the size of the stock muffler outlet and a stock airbox with a K&N airfilter and a #42 piolet jet installed when it put out 114hp. Stock bike with only the exhaust center drilled the bike put out 111hp and it was lean in the the piolet area so we put a #42 in and it was a little fat so we put a K&N in it and it still was just a little fat. I like to run just a hair fat. I will be checking my compression ratio in the spring but as far as i can tell from reading plugs and the number's that i posted the compresion should check good. I feel if a stock bike is putting out bigger dyno numbers than a piped stage 7 bike its because the stock bike is running rich. Lee's bike put down more hp than my bike and all he says he has is a K&N airfilter that i traded him for dinner. But i weigh alot more than lee and on the street my bike is faster. on the dyno my bike spooled way faster than his. and the dyno showed that lee's bike was alot richer than my bike. I feel if damon would have tuned my stock bike i would have seen 112hp all stock and 118hp with the stage 7 pipe and the spark box. if i went a little leaner i might see 1 or 2 more hp. All of you should know that a good tune is with valve adjustment fresh plugs and wire's not just a carb adjustment. All in all for my money if i did it again i would go with slip-on's a spark box and a good tune.........Mike

Hey Mike, are you talking about a Dyna 3000 in regards to a "Spark Box"??

Yes. Curve 4 helps with low end engine spool. Also helps with wheelies and gives you a rev limiter.

Back