Exhaust diarrhea

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
While warming up my bike this morning, I noticed this. Both sides are spitting out this blackness. Left side more than the right as seen in the pic. What the heck? Had my choke on about 1/2. Didnt notice it after bike was warm and choke off.

IMAG1145_zpsc2b8232f.jpg

Agreed - the condensation has pooled as water and collected some of the soot in the exhaust which it has spat out.

Try to avoid running the bike unless you will be getting it up to normal operating temperature. This takes about ten miles of running on the road.

If you don't use the bike for extended periods all you need to do is to make sure that the battery charge is maintained - use a battery tender to do this.

Right on, thanks. I have only had my Vmax since March of last year, and it hasn't seen a winter til this one in my possession. I let it run til the temp gauge moves, sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 10 depending on the outside temp.

If you just let it run for a while and don't take it out for a rip especially when it's cold you get moisture and condensation that sit there when you shut the bike off. The engine has to "cook off" the moisture or it will stay there internally and eventually freeze depending how cold it gets.

I let it run til the temp gauge moves, sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 10 depending on the outside temp.

When you say 'let it run' is this before riding off (no probs with that) or before shutting the motor down?

If the latter then you are probably doing more harm than good.

When you say 'let it run' is this before riding off (no probs with that) or before shutting the motor down?

If the latter then you are probably doing more harm than good.

Why do you not keep the engine running after a ride?? I don't, but I'm curious.. I'm guessing a temperature variant causes something?

Sorry, poorly phrased question.

What I was trying to establish was if the engine was being started up, allowed to run for a short period and then turned off. I.e. before it got to operating temperature.

NOT if was being allowed to run after returning from a ride.

I have given myself 100 lines, 'I must learn to write proper', and will have them on your desk by the morning.

Sorry, poorly phrased question.

What I was trying to establish was if the engine was being started up, allowed to run for a short period and then turned off. I.e. before it got to operating temperature.

NOT if was being allowed to run after returning from a ride.

I have given myself 100 lines, 'I must learn to write proper', and will have them on your desk by the morning.

I see, I don't just start it up and shut it off. If I start it, it runs, then I ride when its ready.

And its "I must learn to write properLY." Hahaha sorry..

Latest posts

Back