Exhaust flange nuts coming loose?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
So this past weekend, my rear left header came loose and came out of the Y connector (walker pipes). Tightened everything back up but the nuts seem to be loosening each time i check now. Is it OK to put locktite on these? Or maybe some sort of lockwasher? Some guys I see putting anti-seize so I would assume you typically don't want locktite on something you are worried about seizing.

Thoughts?

I'm not 100% sure due to the heat of the exhaust, but on brake rotor bolts (pretty damn hot too) blue thread lock compound is defo recommended (and asked for in the service manual).

It shouldn't need it, but it won't hurt to try some blue. If it doesn't work then step up to the red.

Chris

i ended up using blue and it worked fine, except one of the studs came out with the nut. what is typically used to hold the stud in, red loctite?

I wouldn't use Red on the stud, Someday it may have to be replaced.. Blue on it should help but it really doesn't matter if the stud comes out with the nut... Old Harleys are the ones that need Red.:rofl_200:

Man, You're doing a lot of work...... Good Luck.
Dave

I wouldn't use Red on the stud, Someday it may have to be replaced.. Blue on it should help but it really doesn't matter if the stud comes out with the nut... Old Harleys are the ones that need Red.:rofl_200:

Man, You're doing a lot of work...... Good Luck.
Dave

thanks man. i used blue last time and it came out so just seeing if there was something else, maybe used from the factory.

its the only bugger tho so we'll see.

Gents the RED one may be also insufficient.

There are specially designed ceramic glues which im using for high temp apps.
But again im not sure about the US market...

I wonder if this is due to the solid mounts? Did you say you were thinking about removing them for oem?

maybe maybe not hard to say.

i'd love to danny but fuck its such a pain maybe next winter hahah

Gents the RED one may be also insufficient.

There are specially designed ceramic glues which im using for high temp apps.
But again im not sure about the US market...

what would have yamaha used from the factory?

I have the Walker headers & solid mounts.

Have replaced the studs with stainless items secured with stud lock. Never had a problem with them coming undone.
Whilst they were tight they came out OK when I needed to strip them out when I had the heads ported.

I'd suggest that the red would be OK.

This thread is fantastic. Should be made into a condensed version explaining the different experiences with Thread Locking Compounds... If what's being said can be preserved it would be helpful to everyone at some point.... Great Stuff....

Back