Exhaust getting louder

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by rebeltaz83, Sep 29, 2019.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Sep 29, 2019 #1

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

18 completely stock, I noticed my exhaust is getting louder. Everything is tight, no leaks. It just rolled 4,000 miles. It's this normal?? I only recently noticed this, because I have the Sena comms in my helmet, and I have the fm on for music and I usually can't hear the exhaust over it, but today I could hear it over my music with the volume all the way up. I'm not too worried about it I got a voodoo system on it's way
    And on another note, I plan on getting the Nash flash, but wanted to double check if it would cause any long term damage to ride with the de-cat, and slip ons untill I get there re flash done. I live in SC, so I can ride year round. Planned on January for the reflash because it's usually crappy weather from January to April. I won't be going but maybe a few hundred miles a couple times a month, if it won't hurt it. Could I move the O2 sensor to the left pipes so it picks up the leaner cylinder??

2. Oct 5, 2019 #2

Allen Zielinski

Allen Zielinski

Allen Zielinski

I have the original X pipe & stock mufflers. The X pipe is a cat delete. I had a shop opened the stock muffler, increase the inner pipe exit diameter, weld it back up, then repack them. So my system was louder to begin with and defiantly more free flowing. That was about 8 years ago and since then it has become louder. In any muffler that has packing the packing material deteriorates with time and will not absorb as much sound and get louder. As far as the Nash flash I have been meaning to get it done since I modified the exhaust but never got around to it. 7,000 miles and she still run great. I did plug the AIS system and I have not modified the air box.

rebeltaz83 likes this.
  3. Oct 5, 2019 #3

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

I just put my voodoo system on today, man does it sound mean. I still have the ais hooked up, I'll get the plug kit when I get the ECU reflash......... Not sure how I'm gonna listen to my music, but I do like the sound of a nice exhaust system. See how it performs in the twisties up in the mountains near where I live tomorrow, suppose to be in the low 80s, been hitting triple digit temp. Here for 3 days, finally cooling off here in the South East. I think I'll see about eliminating the exup cables after the reflash also. I got them tied up for now.

4. Oct 6, 2019 #4

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

Pulled the end caps off my voodoo, can't believe they come with a single lap of steel wool wrapping does fiberglass so any better?? And I'm guessing you have to poke it down in due to the fact the baffle doesn't come out. I like the sound, it's just really crackly. Gonna get the reflash sooner than I figured, you can really hear that lean surge with a louder exhaust, and it's really annoying. Sounds really good when engine braking above 3,000 rpm.

5. Oct 20, 2019 at 1:51 PM #5

Rick52

Rick52

Rick52

I replace the installed packing on all my mufflers with a 1/2” ceramic blanket type
    Makes the sound deeper and more mellow
    The ceramic will outlast the muffler. I have never needed to repack after using ceramic. Ever
    IMHO
    Rick Rash

rebeltaz83 and Itgoes like this.
  6. Oct 20, 2019 at 7:16 PM #6

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

I used a 1" thick fiberglass mat packing, it does have a deeper tone, and it's not as crackly, and raspy. I like the sound allot better, and they are still loud, lol. When it comes time again, I'll use the ceramic. Where did you get the ceramic packing?? I watched your YouTube video, and you gave the measurements in one of the comments, I had to trim 1" off the mat and it fit perfectly.