Exhaust header clamp confusion please help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ive had an exhaust leak and I notice my right side rear exhaust header was loose. When i went to go check it out i notice my exhaust header could be just simply pulled right out of the manifold with my bare hand!!!!!. i took it apart and cleaned everything up(the retainer flange, copper ring gasket and clamp) and reassembled and even with the clamp fully tight my header slides right out. upon inspecting of my manual(a shitty clymer) and taking apart My header on the other side i cant understand how this design was EVER supposed to work. its just a smooth pipe end with a couple rings slide over it! how the hell is that ever supposed to hold anything on! i have never seen an exhaust clamp designed this way before. it truly does not make sense for the love of god someone please help me. i can send pics. my manual simple says install in reverse of removal which i have done!

Last edited:
The pipe should be held tightly in the opposite end, where it inserts into the resonator box and megaphone dual muffler. There's a graphite circular gasket in there which provides a seal for the header pipe to resonator female port. Do you have carbon deposits around the end of the header pipe there? That would indicate a leak, probably due to a loose gasket/clamp there.

exhaust is not stock and the only thing thats loose is the header into exhaust port manifold connection is loose no mater how much i tighten the clamp. there is nothing that hold the ring gasket and flange ring onto the end of the exhaust pipe so even when its all in place and i tighten down the clamp i am able to simply slid the header right out of the clamp with my bare hand. its hard to describe i can make a video tomorrow if it would help

heres a video i took trying to explain the issue and things are exactly as the manual says so can some one please explain to me how this is supposed to work

I had always wondered how the exhaust trim piece attached ,now I understand after seeing the type of clamp on ebay that your having trouble with. I would get the type of down pipe that deletes your"trim piece"pipe. This is what you should get for all four cylinders. I'm assuming your running a header.050813150833.jpg

the piece of exhaust pipe in the video IS my header where it connects to engine exhaust manifold. i just moved it out the side of the bike to make the video the clamp you see in the video is the only clamp/connection between my header pipe and engine exhaust manifold port. my header to engine connection is the only thing thats loose that im confused about/ having trouble with. i can make another video from a diff angle to show how its actually going on the bike. my exhaust is not stock but idk who made it(no brand name or logo stamped on it and it was on the bike when i bought it forgot to ask brand) but i think its only a slip on system and my headers themselves are stock i believe and the clamp and ring and gasket setup in the video is also stock and how it appears in the manual to my knowledge. had it for 2 years but this is my first max

Last edited:
Numbers 11,8 and 12 from the center of the photo on the rear side are the clamp ring gasket and flange seen in the video. the number 7 in the photo is pointing at the tip of the exhaust header seen in the video. this is stock vmax exhaust stuff for anyone who has removed a vmax rear exhaust header before unlike myself who hasn't. im kinda surprised more people dont know what im talking about but knowing myself im probly describing it badly X) i dont even know why the front and rear exhaust headers attach in diff ways it really dont make sense to me never seen a set up like it on other bikes

Attachments

• 20200306_001331.jpg
    20200306_001331.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Whatever the factory decides. Personally, I've never had any fitment issues with the OEM exhaust. I know you said it's an aftermarket exhaust.

Any exhaust I have, on any bike, I fit everything loosely, and then incrementally tighten things, until it's all-snug. Of course, it helps to have a factory manual to see what they say. I bet there are a few guys on here who didn't have a factory manual, or who didn't read about the top of the collector/megaphone system, who didn't remove that one fastener holding the resonator can in-place, and wondered "why won't the *$#!&^$# exhaust detach?"

Actually, watching how you slipped on the pieces, to my recollection, the beveled rings have to mate their flat surfaces to the spigot fixtures' flat surfaces into which the rear cylinder exhaust pipe inserts, and the copper gasket goes into the spigot before the exhaust pipe goes-into the spigot. Then the beveled-sides clamp goes-on and it pulls the round ring, beveled surfaces together (the beveled side of the spigot and the beveled side of the slip-on ring which is on the exhaust pipe tubing), and the copper ring inside the spigot seals the exhaust pipe end. You have to do things incrementally. You don't run it all-down tight from the get-go. It's a 'wiggle-this, snug-down that" process until everything lines-up properly.

Last edited:
it looks like the first ring (flange) should be welded to the pipe so the clamp can go over it and the opposing pipes flange and pinch the gasket between them. I'm sure Sean can clear this up.
later, bill

The spigot bolting to the exhaust port for the rear cylinders has a triangular-shaped flange. The slip-on ring which goes over the exhaust pipe for each rear cylinder is the corresponding mating triangular-shaped flange. The clamp is also triangularly-shaped, and it's sized to slip-over the two back-to-back flanges. The opposite end of the rear cyl exhaust pipe fits to the exhaust resonator box.

The flat copper ring goes-onto the pipe, which is inserted into the spigot is how I believe it assembles. So, the order of assembly is spigot, flat copper ring, triangularly-shaped flange, and the clamp over both the spigot flange and the separate ring flange, with the flat copper ring sandwiched on the exhaust pipe, between the flanges.

Zoom-in and confirm the order of assembly:

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/500452aaf8700209bc792426/exhaust

The cooper "ring" or gasket can wear down some which will not let it pinch tightly to the pipe which in turn would let you pull the pipe out (though the snakes nest back there and muffler usually keep it from coming all the way out).

Hi - did you manage to remedy this? I have EXACTLY the same issue…..clamps are done up as hard as they will go (the gap between the ends is fully closed up) but I can still just pull out the header. I have fitted new genuine copper rings from Fowler’s Bristol. I can’t for the life of me see how this shitty arrangement is EVER supposed to work! The bike is coughing and farting terribly due to the leaking exhaust joints. Someone please help!!!!!

Maybe some shim-stock, wrapped-around the pipe?
That may work. Thing is,… I have a standard OEM system with new pukka Yamaha gaskets but it still wont seal - I could understand it if it was just some bodge I had cobbled together. Somebody else must have had this problem before surely!! 🤷‍♂️

Wow. Reading through this one makes me glad I've gone with the Dale Walker exhaust. (Although I've had a few 'Maxes with factory pipes and have never seen this.)

Hope you guys find a way to work through it.

Wow. Reading through this one makes me glad I've gone with the Dale Walker exhaust. (Although I've had a few 'Maxes with factory pipes and have never seen this.)

Hope you guys find a way to work through it.
Tell me more about the Dale Walker please bud,….I’ve not heard of this one. 🤔

No longer available new, but one of many aftermarket pipes out there. I always loved the Kerker 4 into 1, but have really enjoyed this DW 4 into 2.

Fits like a glove, bolts down solid. Ain't going anywhere.
Max.jpeg

No longer available new, but one of many aftermarket pipes out there. I always loved the Kerker 4 into 1, but have really enjoyed this DW 4 into 2.

Fits like a glove, bolts down solid. Ain't going anywhere.
View attachment 77717
Hmmmm - i’m in UK so not an option unfortunately. Not even any full Kerker systems on Flea-bay UK. 😬

Doesn't Marving have full exhausts? What about Exactrep? Or is that who sold you this bike in the 1st place? 🤔 :confused::mad:

Latest posts

Back