Exhaust Help needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytrozula

Reaction score
I want to replace the stock exhaust with something with a little more sound. Can someone describe the difference I see in the different options I have read about; x-pipe, h-pipe, straight.... Will a slip on exhaust give me a much deeper sound or do I need to replace the headers as well? I've seen videos of bikes with the cat removed and using the stock muffler is sounded nice but not sure how involved removing the cat is. for those that have removed it, is it difficult? Any suggestions? I have used Hindle on my sleds and was happy with it. How are their exhausts for the bikes?

I want to replace the stock exhaust with something with a little more sound. Can someone describe the difference I see in the different options I have read about; x-pipe, h-pipe, straight.... Will a slip on exhaust give me a much deeper sound or do I need to replace the headers as well? I've seen videos of bikes with the cat removed and using the stock muffler is sounded nice but not sure how involved removing the cat is. for those that have removed it, is it difficult? Any suggestions? I have used Hindle on my sleds and was happy with it. How are their exhausts for the bikes?
A slip on will give you a deeper sound.

MY 09 has the CAT removed, Mark's (Mike's?-I never remember which) X-pipe installed(no longer made), and OEM cans installed. It is plenty louder than factory as far as I am concerned.
paint 1 (4).jpgVmax license plate shots 003.jpg

My wife's 09 also has the CAT removed and a Mark's X-pipe installed. However, she has a set of Tailgunner B-52 Jet Pipe's cans on hers. It is so loud, she wakes the entire police force each time she fires up the bike(we live 3 miles out of town). I can barely stand to ride behind her. Me no likee loud.
new powder coat 013.jpgnew powder coat 014.jpg
Vmax license plate shots 002.jpg

Sorry, no video/audio available to me here at work.

Both our bikes came with the CAT already removed, but judging by the spare parts that came with my bike, I'd have to guess that removing the CAT would be very time consuming. You also have to disconnect other pieces that lead to it, as well as acquiring an aftermarket "fix" to adjust your air/fuel ratio to make up for the difference in exhaust flow and make your bike run smoothly after removing it's CAT. Some people make do with a fuel tuner such as the Power Commander V from DynoJet, and others send their ECU to The Guru in Florida to have it reflashed. (worth every penny IMO)

As far as sound goes, the cat has the biggest effect on volume. The stock mufflers are already straight through pipes. The only way to get a 2nd gen to roar like its supposed to is remove the cat. This requires one of several different midpipes, cat delete pipes, x pipes, 4 into 1 complete system, etc. to replace the cat. and either a PC5 or reflash to correct the fuel curve. I have the cat replaced with UFO stealth midpipes and stock mufflers. It is plenty loud. Price can vary greatly and some systems make more top end power and some make more low end grunt.

Latest posts

Back