EXHAUST mid pipe / muffler mix and match

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to.
First, the XOvals come with a composite strap. When the strap is wrapped around the can and the tabs snapped together at the top, the orientation is fixed and final because the material does not allow for any amount of twist (it cracks). Since the cans are angled outward away from the swingarm, the tab follows the same angle. However, the bike's mounting bracket runs parallel with the bike so the tab and mounting point are misaligned.

The kit includes a short metal bracket that is designed to go between the tab and bike's mounting point. However (again), the mid-pipes terminate with an upward angle. Obviously, that angle continues on through the cans after they're attached. Consequently, there's no space left between the strap's tab and bike's mounting point for the little bracket.

The tab actually reaches the mounting point fine without the bracket BUT, it's way misaligned. I ended up using the little bracket but off to the side. I was able to connect the tab only after massaging a compound curve into the bracket.

It took multiple trials and one cracked bracket before getting both sides mounted. Even so, the can isn't actually supported by the bracket since it's not hanging from the mounting point.

The customer service rep sent me replacement straps at no charge after I called and inquired if the XOvals had indeed ever been fitted to a Gen 2. He said the XOval straps have been very problematic. He also sent an installation guide that clearly showed a Gen 2. However, the product involved a round can, used different hardware, and had a metal strap.

I'll see if I can retrieve some of the photos I took.
This is one is from the guide he sent me...
20220718_133200.jpg
These are of my broke strap and the finished setup...20220703_154646.jpg20220703_162149.jpg20220707_123427.jpg
It's possible that the regular oval cans come with metal straps that may be forgiving of the required twist. Might even be able to connect directly to the bike's mounting point without the little bracket.

Just FYI, the mid-pipes went on great. They come fitted with a plug where the 02 sensor goes so don't buy one like I did. I also bought new bolts for the rear header clamps but that was a waste because you don't reuse those clamps.

I've put several hundred miles of very mixed riding on the exhaust so far and am relieved to say the cans have stayed in place.
Included:
Hard carving back roads
Rough surface streets
Extended hi-speed interstate
High temps
Torrential downpour

Last edited:
Something unique.....
Wanted to have the pipes the exact same length, wanted to keep the EXUP, wanted to keep the looks of the original mufflers.

Only 1 solution.,...

Attachments

• 2015-02-09 uitlaat Yamaha V-Max 1700 - 12.jpg
    2015-02-09 uitlaat Yamaha V-Max 1700 - 12.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back