exhaust pipe torque

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

When removing and replacing exhaust pipes is it necessary to torque it to the correct specs or is it ok to just tighten it as hard as possible?

you talking about the recessed allen nuts? how would you torque the rear ones?

You'd have to work VERY hard to be able to shear one off. You can tell when it's done crushing the gasket and is "tight".

So it's possible to do without a torque wrench? As long as I don't way over overtighten the thing?

So it's possible to do without a torque wrench? As long as I don't way over overtighten the thing?

i don't see how you'd do it with a torque wrench on the rear nuts. i'd match the fronts to the rears if you really don't have a torque wrench.

I cut about 1.5" off a 8mm allen key and use that for the nuts on the rear cyls. I turn the allen key with an offset ratchet wrench. I cut the 90 degree bend off the leftover piece of the allen key and the straight part works great for the front cylinders. I drive that with a 8mm deepwell on and extension and 1/4 ratchet. I don't use a torque wrench on these nuts. I just tighten them till I feel they are tight enough.

Back