Exhaust pop and odd smell

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Well rode the max to work today. Odd smell almost burning rubber coming from it? Not sure, not a strong smell but did not even think it was the bike until I got to work and could smell it again. Havent started it since Friday - does not sound like long but normally gets ridden daily so not sure?!

When I bent down to see where smell was from I noticed my exhausts - both of them constantly pop a little every second or so. Never noticed before as they are so quiet. I know they pop when I start up with the choke on.

On the plu side the max is going in for a carb job Wednesday which I am hoping solves the pop issue - running way rich right now. Reaks of gas.

Do you run the gas with ethanol in it? If so... STOP! Vmax carbs DO NOT like it.

Chris

I live in the corn state so I know ALL about Ethanol. I just make sure to only get non ethanol fuel at certain stations. BP usually has 87 without ethanol. I run ethanol in EVERYTHING else without an issue. There's always a sticker on the pump.

Chris

I always use shell v power (93)
Even shell has 10% I think. No choice here either.

I always use shell v power (93)
Even shell has 10% I think. No choice here either.

Don't waste your money on 93. You'll make more power with 87.

You'll want to run some Techron or Seafoam every other tank if you run ethanol fuel.

I always thought 93 was better for a vmax? Ill get some more sea foam when I get my bike back then also!

93 is for higher compression motors or motors running a lot of timing advance or force induction. The Vmax stock isn't going to need it. 93 is less volatile which is why you use it in higher compression or highly advanced timing or force air inducted engines.

Now if 93 is the only non ethanol gas you can find, then I say run it!

Chris

Check to see of your rear tire is rubbing your swing-arm or rear fender. My tire is very close to my swing-arm on the left side (but isn't rubbing), also when I removed my rear fender I could see where it had been rubbing the fender. I never noticed any rubber smell, but it may have only been rubbing on compression.

Back