Exhaust question

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by ulyrider, May 22, 2020 at 9:17 AM.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. May 22, 2020 at 9:17 AM #1

ulyrider

ulyrider

ulyrider

Good morning folks, I'm pretty know to owning a Vmax and I am building one good runner from 2 wrecked bikes (I know I'm not wired up right). Do I understand correctly that the 1st gen Vmax has a catalytic converter? If so has anyone ever "removed the guts" from their converter to retain the stock exhaust without the flow restriction?

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 11:10 AM
  2. May 22, 2020 at 9:59 AM #2

desert_max

desert_max

desert_max

Welcome! There is no catalytic converter in the exhaust of a first generation Vmax. That’s not to say that the exhaust is not more restrictive than it probably should be. Removing the guts would end up sounding like a 67 Fairlane with a rotten muffler. Better to install an aftermarket exhaust system if you’re looking for better flow.

3. May 22, 2020 at 10:37 AM #3

ulyrider

ulyrider

ulyrider

To be fair there are some aftermarket offerings that sound like a 67 Fairlane with a rotten muffler. There is definitely a science behind a better flowing exhaust but playing with exhaust pulses and tube lengths is interesting to me. Maybe I'll stumble on to something interesting maybe I'll stick with stock. I had a 2000 Buell X-1 that I probably had close to 10 different exhaust configurations on. Some sounded good some not so good, some were just insanely loud and I'm old enough to not be a fan of that anymore.

4. May 22, 2020 at 10:58 AM #4

Rollie

Rollie

Rollie

Stock exhaust headers are the restrictive issue for power. Kerker spent a lot of $ to tune theirs for power , but you need a jet kit and you lose the center stand ( and some weight ) . There are other good header systems out there , but the stock headers are a good place to start.

Draft saved Draft deleted