Exhaust Removal 09

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxout1200

Reaction score
I spent yesterday afternoon removing the complete exhaust system on my 09 Vmax. Well almost the complete system. The shop manual says you have to remove the engine to get the rear header pipes out.

Here ar a few things I learned during the process:

1. Removal of the mufflers is the easy part.
2. Remove the exup valve cables from the cat-converter can. Easy way is to remove center bolt and pull the pulley off at the cat-can this way you do not loose your cable adjustments.
3. Unplug the oxygen sensor conector. This is found under the right side cover then pull the exhaust side of the conector and wire out.
4. Loosen the exhaust clamps between the rear header pipes and cat-can. These are allen head bolts and require a allen head socket with an extention. They must be accessed from the right side of the bike. It is a tight squeesze to access them but once they are located it is not hard with the proper tools.
5. To drop the cat-can from underneath the bike it is first necessary to remove the front header pipes. It will help if you have a cut down allen head wrench to remove the header flange nuts as the heat shields interfere with the removal.

I discovered that the front header pipe heat shields are welded to the pipes at the rear preventing removal without some cutting.

I found that the front header pipes are a larger diameter than the rear header pipes. (front pipes 1.66 inches O.S.D.) Rear header pipes 1.35 inches O.S.D.) ????????

I found that the rear header pipes have a built in crossover as well as the cross over pipe located under the engine for the front header pipes.

Why am I going to all this trouble you ask. My plan is to build a jig based on the cat-can and then attempt to build my own extractor pipes to replace the can. I would like to lengthen the rear pipes for performance, but may choose the simplist method first. This would be simmilar to the Kirker slip ons except it will utilize the stock muffler system as well as header pipes. A two piece system perhaps. One of the problems I may encounter is finding the smaller diameter pipe required to attach to the rear header pipes

Another thing I noticed when removing the front head pipes is that there are what appear to be motor mount castings on the front of the engine that are unused. Its as if Yamaha made a design change on how to hang the engine from the front of the frame and left the old castings in place.???

The castings could be for a fairing for a later sport touring version using the Max motor.

if that's the same and it's chain drive it may mean a very simple chain drive conversoin could be done.
Sean

if that's the same and it's chain drive it may mean a very simple chain drive conversoin could be done.
Sean

Don't go by the drawing in my attachment Sean. That was an artists concept that was put out in early 08.

Latest posts

Back