Exhaust replacement advice needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksbugs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 97 Vmax that came with the black headers and mufflers.
My headers are in a pretty rough shape and I'm looking into replacing them but I'd like to keep the setup as close to stock (4-2) as I'm not chasing performance and don't want to be too loud either.
It also looks like the black front headers are not available anymore.

So I was considering a few options:

1-Stock headers (chrome) and add Supertrapp mufflers
2-Mark's performance full exhaust but then I guess rejet is needed from what I understand.
3-Aftermarket headers (like exactrep front headers but I'll need to replace the rear ones too) and add Supertrapp or DAM mufflers (if this is even possible)
4-Star Rider MaxFlow Streetpro (with megaphones) but I read they're very loud.
5-Something else ?

Do you guys have some of these setups and what are your thoughts on your specific exhaust ?

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_6988.jpeg
    IMG_6988.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6990.jpeg
    IMG_6990.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 0
You could get your Originals ceramic coated look for jet hot coatings

Thanks.
that is one option I was considering before finding they were slightly bent underneath by a speed bump and the welds of the heat shields on both side were cracked. It seems like a lot of work to get them in decent shape again.

Last edited:
The other issue you may encounter with OE headers is that they are double skinned. They can corrode and separate at the cylinder head end and start to rattle.
Before doing any rectification make sure they are sound in this area before spending any dosh on them.

The other issue you may encounter with OE headers is that they are double skinned. They can corrode and separate at the cylinder head end and start to rattle.
Before doing any rectification make sure they are sound in this area before spending any dosh on them.
Mr. Midnight raises a valid point though the 'cheap-fix' is to simply knock an unobtrusive dent into the outer pipe so it contacts the rattly loose inner tubing. The cost: zilch.

My tuppence, is stick with OEMs as they're designed to work properly with the engine (same goes for airbox & they're designed to go together). My trike came with ? fitted, some abortion of lets weld pipes together job. Went back to OEM headers with Markle 'U' collector silencer/mufflers as I came across a cheap set 2nd hand & claim not to require mods.

I found a few decent stock exhaust options on eBay but they aren’t cheep. I would suggest contacting Sean Morley at [email protected] he seems to have a fair amount of stock on hand.
Back in the day “1990’s” I had a V-Max with Hindle headers that hung pretty low and one pipe got dented by a speed bump. I was able to straighten it out with a propane torch and massaging it from the inside with a crowbar. I sent it off to Jet Hot coatings and it came back better than new.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back