Exhaust too loud! 🙉

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau254

Reaction score
I’ve always enjoyed loud or performance exhausts. But my Vmax I purchased came with a UFO Quadzilla exhaust system. Which is an outstanding exhaust. But it is just too loud. After cruising when I get home my ears are ringing. Do any of you guys with aftermarket exhausts wear ear plugs while riding? I really don’t want to have to do that. That to me is a little too loud. I repacked the mufflers with Ceramic packing (it had copper mesh wire wrap that was pretty sooted up,) & had a small crack in tailpipe welded. Also Tightened one header clamp that was a smidgen loose. This helped somewhat, but still too loud.
I was thinking of maybe changing to some Kerker Slip ons. I like the performance sound of them but they don’t seem to be as outlandishly over the top as my Quadzilla. What say you Kerker users? They seem to quieter down @ idle or low throttle. Wondering if the decibel rating would be lower?

I tried plugs while riding once but couldn't get on with them, the noise that the television set and microwave oven made as they bounced down the road behind me was distracting,
I have LASER PROSTOCK silencers on my bike and they are a nice rumble without being overly loud

I wear Alpine Motosafe plugs, but not because exhaust noise but helmet whistling. That’s what gets you. Guys who are riding behind you, get the full blast of sweet notes from your exhaust.
Morleys Muscle ([email protected]) has some nice options, Delkevics are ok and Kerkers too, basically anything is quieter than UFO 😄
Rule of thumb: thicker silencer = lower sound, longer silencer = quieter sound.

Last edited:
I've never liked the sound of Kerkers. To me they sound like beer cans with holes cut into them.

I like the sound of the Holeshot mufflers, the Hindle and the Delkevics.

Old-school here, the Kerker 4/1 I like the best for its sound. But I'm not-willing to remove the centerstand mount for the Kerker 4/1 installation. However, I run a UFO 4/1 with a custom canister, which is plenty-quiet. I had the UFO balogna-cut W-I-D-E open 'baffle,' what baffled me, is how anyone could ride with it for any length of time without earplugs. I bought from UFO their megaphone replacement for the UFO 4/1 balogna-cut baffle, which helped quite a bit, but it was still loud. Then I adapted some big-displacement exhaust canisters to the UFO 4/1 (one used at a time, please), and that's what I use now. The megaphone for the UFO 4/1 I bought from Jon Cornell may very-well have been the last such unit he sold. He didn't have any on-hand, and I think it was almost two months before I got it at the shop I frequent. Several weeks later, I read he had died.

The main reason I like the canister I fabricated onto the UFO 4/1, is it's quiet-enough I can run the bike hard, and I'm not announcing my 'exhibition of speed' to every LEO in a half-mile radius. Sean thinks it's too-fat, too-long, but I like it for the quiet nature of the sound. Why, it's almost-stealth! :D

Sean Morley [email protected] has lots of options, if you don't have the fabrication skills to git 'er-done on your own.

I've never liked the sound of Kerkers. To me they sound like beer cans with holes cut into them.

I like the sound of the Holeshot mufflers, the Hindle and the Delkevics.
Everyone had there own opinions but kerker is the best sound a vmax produces

I wear Alpine Motosafe plugs, but not because exhaust noise but helmet whistling. That’s what gets you. Guys who are riding behind you, get the full blast of sweet notes from your exhaust.
Morleys Muscle ([email protected]) has some nice options, Delkevics are ok and Kerkers too, basically anything is quieter than UFO 😄
Rule of thumb: thicker silencer = lower sound, longer silencer = quieter sound.
Thanks for the info!

Old-school here, the Kerker 4/1 I like the best for its sound. But I'm not-willing to remove the centerstand mount for the Kerker 4/1 installation. However, I run a UFO 4/1 with a custom canister, which is plenty-quiet. I had the UFO balogna-cut W-I-D-E open 'baffle,' what baffled me, is how anyone could ride with it for any length of time without earplugs. I bought from UFO their megaphone replacement for the UFO 4/1 balogna-cut baffle, which helped quite a bit, but it was still loud. Then I adapted some big-displacement exhaust canisters to the UFO 4/1 (one used at a time, please), and that's what I use now. The megaphone for the UFO 4/1 I bought from Jon Cornell may very-well have been the last such unit he sold. He didn't have any on-hand, and I think it was almost two months before I got it at the shop I frequent. Several weeks later, I read he had died.

The main reason I like the canister I fabricated onto the UFO 4/1, is it's quiet-enough I can run the bike hard, and I'm not announcing my 'exhibition of speed' to every LEO in a half-mile radius. Sean thinks it's too-fat, too-long, but I like it for the quiet nature of the sound. Why, it's almost-stealth! :D

Sean Morley [email protected] has lots of options, if you don't have the fabrication skills to git 'er-done on your own.
That’s another thing. I know a loud exhaust helps you in the road since so many people just don’t see you on a bike. But they will dang sure hear me. But not only is is too loud you are right. I don’t want to attract the attention of Johnny Law any more than we already will just riding a bike. It’s like they have us on radar. So I don’t need any added attention in that regard. I think a quieter one that is still sporty sounding will still be loud enough to get other car motorists to pay attention to stay out of the way.
My UFO ceramic coated headers are wonderful. My plans were to just remove the Quadzilla tips & replace them with Kerker slip ons. It’s a 4 into 2 setup, so it would be dual jerkers. One on each side. Are Kerker tips stainless or aluminum?

Anybody on here running Kerkers? Do you still have to wear ear plugs? Just wondering how much quieter they will be than my UFO’s?
You can se the setup on my bike by clicking on my Avatar profile pic.

I run a 4/1 kerker and I don't wear ear plugs but I do wear ear buds and listen to music as im riding. It's definitely loud but I love the sound so I want to hear it as much as possible.

If you look at the website for Star Rider Performance, Mike Lees who took over after Jon Cornell died, may have something that works in-place of the Quadzilla too-loud exhausts. 1985-2007 Vmax - Exhaust - Page 1 - Star Rider Performance

Contact Mike and ask. Then post here, so we know.
Thanks. I wonder how the street pro megaphones sound? That’s the only bad thing is you don’t know what they’re going to sound like. Guess I’ll YouTube them to see. Before paying several hundred $$ to find out I don’t like them.

Thanks. I wonder how the street pro megaphones sound?

These are with smaller diameter endcaps, supposed to make them quieter. Crappy sound quality but you get the idea. I didn’t like the looks of Kerkers, too long but the sound was OK. Delkevics sounded ok too and looked better than Kerkers (imo), but they were installed with that huge band around silencer which I didn’t like (holy shit I’m picky) and went to UFO system then. It was a bit too loud for my taste, but bearable.

These are with smaller diameter endcaps, supposed to make them quieter. Crappy sound quality but you get the idea. I didn’t like the looks of Kerkers, too long but the sound was OK. Delkevics sounded ok too and looked better than Kerkers (imo), but they were installed with that huge band around silencer which I didn’t like (holy shit I’m picky) and went to UFO system then. It was a bit too loud for my taste, but bearable.

Ya, pretty much anything Star Rider Performance is going to be pretty loud. I agree, I don’t like the looks of the Kerker. But I sure like how they sound. Probably the best sounding exhaust I’ve heard on a Max.

Latest posts

Back