Extended swing-arm ???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxrom

Reaction score
Hy Maxer`s
First, forgive my english (language barrier !!)

I`m doing a Vmax 3`` extended swing-arm from a stock one, for my Buddy.
My first drive shaft swing-arm mod (i`ve done a couple chain-drive)

The 100$ question
I`ve search on the web to see how others doing it, ...... find nothing
IS IT DONE SIMPLY ON THE WORK BENCH WITH SQUARE, LEVEL AND TAPE, OR WATH
:bang head::bang head::bang head:

So i decide doing it with my Millwright experience with a; 3 X 1.5 `C` steel chanel as a template,
:ummm: To strong for nothing :ummm:

The template will be done next week-end,
will share more pics of the job on going

begening
-
-
-

We have a jig that we use (actually multiple jigs) and a sequence of welds that we learned the hard way over time so I won't share too much information on it. I don't see why a good welder and fabricator could not do it himself with time and patience.

I've searched for a 3" over prefab (premod) for mine. It seems there isn't anyone selling these for the Gen 1 any longer. Am I correct?

Great,
these tread will help, i did try searching it without result:bang head:

I`ve already had my ideas of doing that job, but sometimes just a little tips can help. (Just like a good garage friend :biglaugh:)
the only difference is that i do it at the factory, so, the swing arm is not on the Bike.
Reason why it need a good jig, wath i`m doing now.

So, will seat and red it all tonight.

thank`s

I still sell 3" and 6" over arms.
We can supply the complete package. I normally don't suggest the mono since it's much more work and requires some modifications to the frame. We also would relocate the shocks to be forward a little from your current shock locations. You can then lower the bike with shorter shocks just like you would normally.

GENERAL SWINGARM INFO:
I like the stability the extended swingarms give personally (plus they look cool). Theoretically the extended arm reduces handling but I have not found any significant loss when it came to that. They also help cut down on wheelies so you can launch harder or keep the front end down in situations you don't want that happening (like at the drag strip).

When extending the swingarm you have to deal with the shock locations. Your options for a +3" arm is to use an offset shock bracket (available in 1.5"-3" correction) or leave it as is. If you leave it as (moved 3" rearward) is the bike is lowered approx 2.5" when using your existing shocks. We've used some KYB shocks from Kawasaki ZRX bikes with the rearward position (without relocation bracket) and they work quite well. They are longer then stock though (around 14.25") and help keep the lowering to about an inch or so.

For a +6" arm we relocate the shock brackets forward from the stock position by approx 1". This raises the back of the bike approx 1/2" when using your current shocks. Also, when looking closely the shock on the left side is at a slightly different angle then the right shock (again this is due to the method of relocating the shock to the swingarm instead of the differential).

Most arm builders keep the wheel "plane" in the same reference as stock but rearward. We like to offset the wheel to the left by .250"-.300" to help correct the offset commonly seen in both stock and aftermarket wheels. +3" over is as long as you can go and still have the stock fender. I do believe most people take off the stock light assembly though I can't remember if it can be left on. I sell an aftermarket rear fender (sportbike type) for going over that length and you can maybe even use one of the shorter OEM look fenders (as well as a number of aftermarket vmax fenders).

One option that is available with an extended arm is a matching extended fuel tank. We can get another gallon of fuel by extending the tank +3". - $300 Option (exchanged)

3" EXTENDED ARM (exchanged):
$500 Standard Arm - Notched/Braced - 1"x2" box tubing - Uncoated - No shock relocation (it would get moved 3" back)
$150 Powdercoating (custom to choose color)
Optional $125 Shock Relocation Bracket (puts shocks back to within .5" of stock position) - used on drive side
$150 Driveshaft Extender
$60 Brake Line +3 in Length
$80 Bearings/Seals
$50 Shipping
------------------------------------
$1115

Optional $450 Used KYB shocks if not using the shock relocation bracket. This will lower the bike approx 1.5" compared to stock.

6" EXTENDED ARM (exchanged):
$600 Standard Arm - Notched/Braced - 1"x2" box tubing - Uncoated - shock relocation 1" forward from stock position.
$150 Powdercoating (custom to choose color)
$200 Driveshaft Extender
$60 Brake Line +3 in Length
$80 Bearings/Seals
$60 Shipping
------------------------------------
$1150

MONO SHOCK ARM (NOT INCLUDING SHOCK):
$600 +6" Extended swingarm, Braced and Offset for tire correction, mono tab added (customer must modify frame for upper mount) - Raw Finish
$160 Upper Mount
$200 Driveshaft Extender +6"
$150 Powdercoating (customer to choose color)
$60 Standard +6" brake line OR $60 3 part brake line for underslung conversion
$80 New Bearings/Seals
$40 Figure "8" bracket to mount reservoir (raw aluminum)
$150 Shock Adapter (to extend gen 2 shock)
$60 Shipping
--------------------------------
$1500

Speedcostsmoney and i finaly did it, :eusa_dance:
got some issues with enlarged right side of the swing arm, :bang head::bang head::bang head:
Sean Morley`s 3`` extension fits well, :clapping:

Back