Extended swingarm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hughmcc

Reaction score
I see a lot of older posts but as a new member I will ask for some help.
I am looking for a 3" over arm with brace and shock mounts in factory location .
Does any know who may stock one ? I am also assuming I need a longer driveshaft ?

Ok should I start a new thread to get the info on chain drive conversation ?

Up to you - I only threw out the chain drive option as an alternative to finding/making an extended swing arm.

Chain drive conversions have been done and discussed. I can provide no further input as to which route is better so please search the forum on what is involved: cost/fabrication/buying parts wise.

I believe a chain drive and a slick is how a Gen 1 got into the 9's on a stock engine.

V Max modifications (thekneeslider.com)

Look up Paul Civitello and chain-drive VMax. Mad Max

Larry Fitzgerald at LCR Performance in Rochester NY can also make you a chain-drive VMax, and I bet Sean Morley can get it done.

"I believe a chain drive and a slick is how a Gen 1 got into the 9's on a stock engine."

Actually, in the '87 Cycle World article, 'Taking it to the Nines,' Jay Gleason got that Vmax into the nines with shaft drive (drag slick on a custom wheel, wheelie bar, and exhaust/intake work). But otherwise stock setup;
https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1987/3/1/taking-it-to-the-nines
Vinnie

Last edited:
Vinnie, yes, you're correct. I posted about the Cycle World article more-than once on-here. What I was speaking-of, was Paul Civitello tried all-sorts of engine mods to have a faster bike, which he did, only to have reliability issues. He found that a stock engine, but converted to chain-drive, was the ticket to (for him) a bike capable of 9 second times, reliability, and the defeat of nearly any-other street-going bike he might come-across.

I dont recall seeing a 3" extended arm with shocks in the stock position. Might be available. Not sure.

Sean Morley does a +3"arm and can provide a shock relocation bracket for the differential side and the welds a new shock mount on the other side. It puts you closer to stock but not quite. It creates a lowering effect since it puts the socks at a bit of an angle. 1" or 1.5" lower IIRC.

Yes, a longer driveshaft is needed. A longer brake line is needed. The tab for the rear caliper brake bar will need relocated.

You can have your fuel tank enlarged to fit 1 more gallon of gas if you extend the arm. You can relocate your caliper for an underslung look and make a custom brake bar.

The +3"arm looks great. Get it braced properly and it stiffens up that dog wagging it's tail feeling as you push hard thru the turns. Doesn't help with making the bike turn better though. Just feels more planted.

I dont recall seeing a 3" extended arm with shocks in the stock position. Might be available. Not sure.

Sean Morley does a +3"arm and can provide a shock relocation bracket for the differential side and the welds a new shock mount on the other side. It puts you closer to stock but not quite. It creates a lowering effect since it puts the socks at a bit of an angle. 1" or 1.5" lower IIRC.

Yes, a longer driveshaft is needed. A longer brake line is needed. The tab for the rear caliper brake bar will need relocated.

You can have your fuel tank enlarged to fit 1 more gallon of gas if you extend the arm. You can relocate your caliper for an underslung look and make a custom brake bar.

The +3"arm looks great. Get it braced properly and it stiffens up that dog wagging it's tail feeling as you push hard thru the turns. Doesn't help with making the bike turn better though. Just feels more planted.
I'm having one made but don't understand the shock relocated option on the shaft side ?

By chance, my bike is apart. These are pics of a 3” over swingarm and the relocating plate for the shock. Also a pic of a 3” extension for the drive shaft. Kit came from Sean years ago.

Attachments

• 4078B3FC-93D4-4EEB-9873-A5DCDCA91DD0.jpeg
    4078B3FC-93D4-4EEB-9873-A5DCDCA91DD0.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 4608FAAA-07AE-48FE-9116-8F290B72BC53.jpeg
    4608FAAA-07AE-48FE-9116-8F290B72BC53.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 76EF0640-D744-44D4-8D38-7CE0A544DC61.jpeg
    76EF0640-D744-44D4-8D38-7CE0A544DC61.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 5F7AE090-78F8-430A-BBC4-C2C7B9A022A6.jpeg
    5F7AE090-78F8-430A-BBC4-C2C7B9A022A6.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 39
This is Sean's +3" arm, with the PCW shock relocation bracket on the final drive side.
Its gets you close to the stock shock location but, not quite there. It still lowers the rear end a bit.

Attachments

• 20190624_173016.jpg
    20190624_173016.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190624_173111.jpg
    20190624_173111.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 39
By chance, my bike is apart. These are pics of a 3” over swingarm and the relocating plate for the shock. Also a pic of a 3” extension for the drive shaft. Kit came from Sean years ago.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back