External electrical accessories?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermnp

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been searching around off and on today and haven't been able to find any information on this...

I'm looking at an extended road trip on my 2006 max and I'd like to be able to plug in some 5v accessories (specifically a USB GPS) for charging while on the road. I was hoping to find an off-the-shelf kit with a splice for adding an old fashioned cigarette-lighter-style accessory, but no dice so far.

Has anyone tried this, or would be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I have a setup for my GPS and cell phone. It is hooked into my Battery Tender plug for convenience and to reduce the hook ups to the battery. It is 12v though. Attached a few pics. The 12v lighter mount is available from shotglassx83 on eBay. Total $17.95 with shipping.

Attachments

• Lighter 1.jpg
    Lighter 1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Lighter 2.jpg
    Lighter 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Lighter Plug.jpg
    Lighter Plug.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 38
Excellent information, thank you both very much, just the head start I needed! Thanks for the pics also m-cman.

(and yeah I can just use a standard ~$5 12v-to-5v lighter-to-USB converter with one of those kits - might not be as "elegant" but simple and easy)

I have a setup for my GPS and cell phone. It is hooked into my Battery Tender plug for convenience and to reduce the hook ups to the battery. It is 12v though. Attached a few pics. The 12v lighter mount is available from shotglassx83 on eBay. Total $17.95 with shipping.

That's what I did on my SV. I unplug the tender and plug in the wires to the GPS unit. On the Vmax I have the tender plug in the fuel area so I didn't do that on it because it would have been too many wires in there.

Just make sure you fuse it all!

Got fuses on both the Battery Tender hookup and the cigarette lighter plug.

For anyone curious, with the help of this thread I actually located almost the perfect item for me from powerlet, PPC-015 mini-usb cable with in-line fuse attached directly to the battery.

I was able to avoid the "cigarette lighter" thing mounted somewhere, and instead simply curled up the extra mini-usb cable inside the gas cap storage bin area. Very convenient for me since I will be re-charging items inside a backpack strapped on the back of the bike.

Direct link for where I found it: http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/e..._cables/mini_usb_gps_power_cable_ppc-015.html

Wash DC? OK I'll put you on the group ride list if we get something together this Fall if you're interested?

Back