Extra fuel filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
Can I put an extra fuel filter after my fuel pump and before the carb inlet? I think a tiny speck of something has blown out of my fuel pump and clogged my pilot jet in carb #1 (It makes no vacuum until about 2500 rpm). This is extremely frustrating, as I thought things were going to be ok when Danny built me new carbs. Then I went a messed them up with a fuel pump :bang head::bang head::bang head::ummm::confused2:

I think I still have a tiny fuel filter from a pump I got from Texas Tornado. It would definitely splice into that hose. I just don't want to put something there that tells the fuel pump that it should stop due to a pressure difference or something.

Help me out, guys. I wanna ride.:doh:

i wonder if you could swap out the stock filter witha aftermarket one that catches smaller particles. i think the filters that have a lil stone in them may be better than a paper filter...which is what the max has...im not shure tho....prolly have to do a lil research on micron sizes. but hey i dont see any issue with adding another filter.

Before I put a filter in between the pump and carbs I would check to see what the problem was. I would disconnect the carbs and run the fuel pump through a white filter/ cloth and into a clear bottle. That way you can see if there is a further problem with your pump or maybe even your tank.

rusty has a good point. theese bikes are notorious for rust in the tank.

I just put the third tank in this bike... I'm pretty sure it's not coming from there. i got a filter from O'reilly that I can really look into. it looks good, although it is one of the paper ones. I'd love to find one of those stone looking ones, though. I know what you're talking about. I just don't know where to buy one. I'll look in my tank again as well.

I just put the third tank in this bike... I'm pretty sure it's not coming from there. i got a filter from O'reilly that I can really look into. it looks good, although it is one of the paper ones. I'd love to find one of those stone looking ones, though. I know what you're talking about. I just don't know where to buy one. I'll look in my tank again as well.

Pretty sure this is what I use on my XJ and it's a gravity feed system.

K&N Inline Fuel Filter 1/4 in. Barb Inlet / 1/4 in. Barb Outlet 81-0221

i had a filter that came apart and filled my pump with filter material, after many attempts to get it all out of the pump my carbs were still getting clogged up, so i added a filter between the pump, and the carbs, thats been about two yrs. ago never had a problem with the extra filter in the line, i'am still running two filters now. i haven't had any problems with my carbs getting clogged since.

In the 'old days', AC Delco had a small, in-line filter #AC454 that had one of the best micron ratings on the market. I can't find that # in their system any longer, but if memory serves, I was able to get Autozone to cross reference it a couple years ago when I was looking to add a good filter on a lawn mower project. It had the right sized inlet/outlets, but it had a metal casing. I really liked using that filter whenever I could, cause I was a GM 454 enthusist, and actually had that filter on my GMC bigblock truck as well - Easy to remember # too.

LOL!!!! YEA rusty i think thats what happened to me too, that thinking if 1oz is good the whole bottle MUST be better rite, My filter compleatly came apart and compleatly clogged my fuel pump man what a mess i made for myself.:bang head:

So here's why I made the original post. Go ahead and turn the sound down most of the way. The camera on my phone can't handle the volume...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2rRDv2W_no

Did peashooter to no avail. I haven't shotgunned yet, though. I gave up for the night after a nice carb backfire that left my right ear ringing.

Easy to see that three out of four carbs seem to be working just fine. I've got new filters on the way, will drain the bowls, pump some fuel into a cup, clean the pump, splice the extra filter in, and try everything again. I'd really rather not take thing apart, but I know that would be a really good way to be sure I can start fresh.

Hmmmm. No. I didn't. I assumed since gas was pumping up out of the top of the carb, that something was blocked. The backfires registered vacuum on that cylinder, but not equal to the others.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hmmmm. No. I didn't. I assumed since gas was pumping up out of the top of the carb, that something was blocked. The backfires registered vacuum on that cylinder, but not equal to the others.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The other rods on the carbtune didn't appear to be dancing very much either....may be time for a good instrument cleaning before going much further.

Below in smaller text I attached a bit of wisdom text that I think is related here.

By appearance, the stone filter referenced has rather course particles. Would this possibly allow for fine particles to migrate through it and pass on to carbs. Picture of filter below from a seller of filters site.

I did not find a spec on micron level of filtration on a cursory Google search.

K&N Inline Fuel Filter 1/4 in. Barb Inlet / 1/4 in. Barb Outlet 81-0221

filter.jpg

Gary

The Mayonnaise Jar
When things in your life seem almost too much to handle,
When 24 hours in a day is not enough;
remember the mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class
and had some items in front of him.
When the class began, wordlessly,
he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar
and started to fill it with golf balls.
He then asked the students if the jar was full.
They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured
it into the jar. He shook the jar lightly.
The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls.
He then asked the students again
if the jar was full. They agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand
and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else
He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded
With an unanimous 'yes.'

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table
and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively
filling the empty space between the sand.
The students laughed.

'Now,' said the professor, as the laughter subsided,
'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things - God, family,
children, health, friends, and favorite passions
Things that if everything else was lost
and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the things that matter like your job, house, and car..

The sand is everything else --
The small stuff.

'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued,
'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.
The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff,
You will never have room for the things that are
important to you.

So...
Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
Play with your children.
Take time to get medical checkups.
Take your partner out to dinner.
There will always be time
to clean the house and fix the dripping tap.

'Take care of the golf balls first --
The things that really matter.
Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.'

One of the students raised her hand
and inquired what the coffee represented.

The professor smiled.
'I'm glad you asked'.

It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem,
there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.'

Latest posts

Back