Extra Hardware

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deekjx

Reaction score
Any only familiar with this extra stuff under my left scoop? Says maxboost on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333483559412.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333483559412.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 59
There is 1 switch just above the assembly. When I spoke with the previous owner, he said that it had 4 settings. No boost, T-Boost, V-Boost, Boost always on. The switch only has two settings though so that can't be possible. Perhaps its a T-Boost/V-Boost switch. If it is, I don't think the T-Boost works. I'll take it for a quick ride shortly to test it again. Its failed to behave any different when I previously tested the switch.

"t-boost" should kick in around 3000rpm, normal at 6000.

Boost always open(on stock carbs) will give a really shitty idle, so that should be obvious if it was the case.

If only your normal v-boost works, it's fine. Yamaha knew what they were doing and 6000rpm is the ideal time to open it. Lower than that just makes it run too rich.

I have a t-boost and never use it, came on the bike. Leave it at the 6000 setting all the time. My switch is 3000-off-6000, with the center being no boost.

Python Motorsports sold at one time a Max-Boost II V-Boost controller for the Gen I. Nothing like that on their current website, but they advertise about it. Maybe they don't make/stock one anymore.
"Just picked up the 2005 VMAX from Python. New tires, oil change, spark plugs, Max Boost II were all done. Wow, what a difference! Thanks to both Tom Jr. and Tom Sr for the great service. Regards: Todd Dunbar 2005 Vmax #202"

Very interesting. My switch disables V-Boost. At first I thought it may have been always on as the power band appeared smooth from 1k-9.5k and I didn't feel that I was hurting for power. When I switched it back to the original position it kicked in at 6k and that felt much faster than any point in the previous power band/switch position. That makes me fairly certain that V-Boost is disabled and there is no T-Boost in that position.

You guys found some very good info though and I'll have to compare my wiring to theirs. Worse case I'll just shoot an email to them and ask them about it. Thanks for your help.

"jf," there is a lot of 'stale' info on the web. If anyone tried the 'home page' link on the page you found, they would have noted that it is 'broken'-it doesn't work. I think you were just referring to the wiring process which is shown on that page, which may prove useful to the original poster.

As I mentioned, going to the http://pythonmotorsports.com/vmax/vmax_products/vmaxgen1.htm
page for their Gen I stuff, that Max Boost II is no-longer distributed by them, at least at the present time. I believe they are the source of the original switch item, it just isn't something they now offer. To wit: Temporarily Out of Stock parts will no longer be shown. (from their web page). I am betting it is something they won't be offering again.

Python seems to be more-into the 'bling' than performance items. Sean Morley :worthy:(site sponsor) and Jon Cornell of UFO http://planetvmax.com/85-07vmax/ (hope I don't get any static about having their names so-close!) and the guys at PCW in Schenectady NY http://www.pcwracing.net/ are probably your best bets for power mods.

Of course there are others, like Boxenstopp in the vicinity of Daytona Beach FL (pic, below 2012), search and ye shall find!

Attachments

• Daytona Bike Week 2012 008.jpg
    Daytona Bike Week 2012 008.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 4
"jf," there is a lot of 'stale' info on the web. If anyone tried the 'home page' link on the page you found, they would have noted that it is 'broken'-it doesn't work. I think you were just referring to the wiring process which is shown on that page, which may prove useful to the original poster.

As I mentioned, going to the http://pythonmotorsports.com/vmax/vmax_products/vmaxgen1.htm
page for their Gen I stuff, that Max Boost II is no-longer distributed by them, at least at the present time. I believe they are the source of the original switch item, it just isn't something they now offer. To wit: Temporarily Out of Stock parts will no longer be shown. (from their web page). I am betting it is something they won't be offering again.

Python seems to be more-into the 'bling' than performance items. Sean Morley :worthy:(site sponsor) and Jon Cornell of UFO http://planetvmax.com/85-07vmax/ (hope I don't get any static about having their names so-close!) and the guys at PCW in Schenectady NY http://www.pcwracing.net/ are probably your best bets for power mods.

Of course there are others, like Boxenstopp in the vicinity of Daytona Beach FL (pic, below 2012), search and ye shall find!

They did make it. When I looked closer, I saw that it said by Python underneath the Max-Boost. When I contacted them, they quickly replied that it is a T-Boost mod. They also mentioned something about a T-boost/V-boost Switch but mine only disables and enables V-Boost. Either its not fully wired up any longer or there is a switch somewhere that I can not find. I requested detailed instructions and offered to pay for them. Hopefully they still have some of the detailed data so that I can trace out all the wires required. Perhaps I have a switch buried behind something else.

I have to say that they have great customer service so far. They responded very quickly to my email.

Do a site search on Python, I think there have been other comments on them in the past (I did not search).

One place I can recommend for tools for bike work is Pit Posse in FL, I have done business w/them and they have been quick to answer emails, I have bought tools from them and have been satisfied w/the quality and function of their stuff. It is a good value and they are quick to address any issues.

I think I have one of those assemblies around here too!

Sean

Latest posts

Back