fan switch not working automatically

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
1 month ago i discovered the fan was not kicking in when the temp is raising near the red. As a temporary fix, I added a manual switch and then the fan is turning on. I recently change the temp sender unit with a stock one but the issue remains. The fan only kicks in with a manual override but not automatically.

What can be wrong ? any idea guys ?

Michael
  1. Check that you have coolant in the system (obvious I know but...)
  2. Check that there is battery voltage at the brown wire going to the fan switch (Ignition on)
  3. No? Check that the cooling fan fuse hasn't blown.
  4. With the ignition on jump the fan switch.
  5. The fan works? You have a bad switch (Again!)
  6. It doesn't? You have a wiring problem between the switch and motor (Blue wire)

Coolant ok, fuse ok, voltage 13.4V.
Still doesn't work :(
With a jump, the fan instantly kicks in.

So switch again ? weird ....

Coolant level was a bit low, I just added few drops and now it's working.
Not sure if it's linked.
I might be loosing some coolant, I have to monitor that.

Hi Michael

Pleased to hear it's working.
If topping up the coolant has sorted it then that would suggest that the bulb of the switch was in air or not fully covered by the wet stuff so never got to the switching temperature.

As you say, you may have a leak - keep it topped up and keep yer fingers crossed!

tnx for the feedback Steeve.

Never I will have thought the level at the minimum could have done that, now I know :)
I think I found the leak coming a o-ring below the radiator.
I will try to get one and replace it, I'm still wondering how to access it since it's just behind the header pipe lol

hehe at least the fan kicks in now :)

Thanks for the heads up on the wiring. I'm having the same issue and was about to go check it out.

Latest posts

Back