Fast clicking from starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Alright, So I (almost) finished putting the bike back together. Only thing left is the rear fender, and the battery.

I picked up my battery from the shop yesterday so the battery is fully charged. I drop it in the bike and hook up the pos/neg cables, turn the key, everything sounds exactly like it should. Lights come on, you can hear the vboost/servo(?) turn on. So far, so good.

When I hit the start button, a rapid clicking from the starter happens and that's about it. My thought process is that I do not have the wiring from the battery to the starter hooked up right. I checked the Haynes Service & Repair Manual I have, and they have some black and white photos in it, not exactly the best detail, but enough to see that I dont have the negative wire going to the right place.

On the starter, you have the motor lead on the left, and the battery lead on the right. My buddy had it hooked up so the negative and the motor lead was on the left. I removed the negative wire from the starter and tried grounding it to the frame. When I tried to start it this time nothing happened. So my question is, where does the negative wire from the battery go? And is that what the problem actually is?

Thanks.

-Mike

Edited to add: In the wiring diagram in the back of the book, it simply shows the negitive from the battery being grounded, but the wire it self has two connectors, so I would think it would have to be screwed in somewhere specific?

Jump starter relay and see if it works..had same problem and I think it was a bad relay

Power goes through relay..wire in wire out..essentially connect wires without the relay..Careful of voltage..use alligator clips or something similar..then try starting

The negative wire from the battery go to ground on the motor next to the oil filler cap

Figured this out a bit ago. I was looking at the wire and the shape it had to it, yes its bendable, but its not exactly a new bike or wire so it sell held the shape it has been in for a while and i strapped it to the motor and got everything going.

Took a few tries but the bike lives!

Figured this out a bit ago. I was looking at the wire and the shape it had to it, yes its bendable, but its not exactly a new bike or wire so it sell held the shape it has been in for a while and i strapped it to the motor and got everything going.

Took a few tries but the bike lives!

Glad you got it figured out! I was just going to say that if you have some bad connections on or from your battery on either polarity, the starter relay can click loudly and rapidly since it isn't getting enough current to fully operate. This has been my experience at least...

Back