fastest production vmax...?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
I have heard it throught the grapevine that the 85 was the fastest year produced, when I question this I get strange answers like "um uh think it was somethingin in the trasmission or carburators or exhaust"... just wondering if this is in fact a truth or an urban legend....

i heard the vboost tubes changed.
so this makes me wonder . what is the inner diameter. of a stage 7 tube?
also digital ignition came around in what 93?.
so i would have to go with urban legend. although it is nice.
when people come up and say "wow a v max" "what year is it?" 1985
"Oh you crazy bastard, you got the good one"

Used to hear that when I had my '85...."Oh man, that's the 145 hp one...."

They all are the same....think there was some subtle change in the breathing or something :confused2: but no drastic hp difference.

Original Horse Power will mean absolutely nothing after you meet the Mod Monkey. It'll be faster if for no other reason than your wallet will be lighter..:rofl_200:

belive me brother ... I know the mod monkey !

tryin' to keep him off my back by tellin' myself that this is an excellent condition bone stock 85 and its best to keep it that way......we'll see how that works out for me

Year does not make a difference as they all the same HP from factory. I have been able, through extensive testing in secret performance testing area's, that the only real difference is color. Results? The government funded test uncovered it was that one particular color was the fastest....House of Kolor's Euro Red!
I am sworn to tell the truth, my name is Brian(real last name is unknown) Evans, Government Employee ID # 2022.

The vboost tubes were a bit bigger starting in the 2nd production year as the 85s exhaust was deemed not to meet gov't specs so they downsized the exhaust a bit and made the vboost tubes a bit bigger. 85 is probably considered "the fastest", because when it was introduced in 85 there was nothing like it! Insane power, torque, acceleration, it made everything else feel like a toy. Add in piss poor brakes and a flexi frame, I'm sure it made everyone who rode it, remember it as the fastest year bike! :punk: :rocket bike:

no ,no, no , it was the year they came with fuel injection(pre 2nd gen) expairmental, I think it was ............89.

I own a 2009 and ride with a good friend with an 85. Whenever I am asked that question as to which is fastest year? 85? I always concede that his 85 is the fastest year Vmax. He rolls his eyes and the inquirere goes "Really"? Lots of fun!
rick

what i hear arou nd here is that 85-89 were bigger engines..

i see it on the 89 ads all the time. "last year for the big motor!"

Not that I'm unhappy with my 86 but I wish I had known then what I know now. When I was looking for mine I fell for the hype of the 145H.P. on the older models vs 100 H.P. on the newer ones otherwise I'd be riding a 97 model with 2 brothers exhaust etc. instead of a stock 86 and not alot of difference in asking prices. Live and learn.
Duke

I own a 2009 and ride with a good friend with an 85. Whenever I am asked that question as to which is fastest year? 85? I always concede that his 85 is the fastest year Vmax. He rolls his eyes and the inquirere goes "Really"? Lots of fun!
rick

Nice one! Keeping the legend alive...

and the legend even extends to some of the mechanic shops.
I took mine to have a small oil leak looked at and he says "85 huh, that was the best year for those bikes, before the government started making Yamaha detune the engine due to emission laws"
Just enough truth to make you want to believe.......
....oh hell, if ya got a VMax, whatever year yours is, that's the fastest one made.:punk:

Latest posts

Back