Faux Tank Fabrication

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deekjx

Reaction score
I've never fabricated a thing in my life unless you count paper airplanes. I'm interested in finding a way to make a faux tank like in this picture:

vmax3.gif

I've contacted the site and they no longer make/sell them. Any advise/tips on how a rooky like myself would get started? Are there garages I can become a member of or places I can go take lessons? I've read somewhere on the forums that local schools might take on fabrication projects from the community. This is something that I'm looking into as well.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I've never fabricated a thing in my life unless you count paper airplanes. I'm interested in finding a way to make a faux tank like in this picture:

vmax3.gif

I've contacted the site and they no longer make/sell them. Any advise/tips on how a rooky like myself would get started? Are there garages I can become a member of or places I can go take lessons? I've read somewhere on the forums that local schools might take on fabrication projects from the community. This is something that I'm looking into as well.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The size and the shape of the stock faux tank was one of the design features of the Max I did not like - I wanted the tank to look more like a "real" gas tank. So I re-worked the existing tank, making it taller and wider, and incorporating a stereo/CDplayer in place of the instrument consol. See my "Modifications" album, under my public profile, for a few pics.
This job was not all that difficult, but I have been a shadetree autobody repairman for a few decades - doing whatever it takes to keep my "beaters" on the road.

You are correct about the trade schools - they might be your best bet to have someone do this tank conversion for you, for little money or maybe for no charge. If that is not an option in your case, I would look around for someone that does bodywork "on the side" The most expensive option would be to take your project to a reputable autobody shop.
Regardless of who does the work, re-working an OEM tank eliminates the difficult aspect of fabrication, the initial fitting of the part to the bike. With all the brackets, slots and keylocks already in place, the job becomes much less complicated. One tip -make sure enough clearance is left at the top of the tank to allow for the turning of the handlebars. Don't ask me how I know of this.
Also regardless of who does the work, it would be advisable to pick up a used faux tank (of course it could be one in very poor condition, therefore very inexpensive), and wail away at this one, keeping your bike on the road in the meantime. It may take awhile to complete, and may have to be re-done to your satisfaction.
Cheers, and good luck!

I'd really like the extra fuel for rides but I'm looking more for what I'd call a "Drop Tank or Tanks". 2 extra gallons sure would be nice.

I'd really like the extra fuel for rides but I'm looking more for what I'd call a "Drop Tank or Tanks". 2 extra gallons sure would be nice.

I'm liking the drop tank idea. Jettison the spare tank to shed weight for a race, or lay a trail of napalm if the po-po is trailin you.:biglaugh:

@mabdcmb: It had not occurred to me to buy a used tank and have that worked on. Excellent idea.

@miles long: :worthy: You have just become a hero of mine. Looking at your extreme modifications, I could only ponder the amount of work it took. Your gas tank solves at least 3 problems immediately. Problems solved:

1) Saddlebags don't block the levers for tank access.
2) Extra gas for long rides.
3) I have more options when selecting a front seat since gas access is not a problem

That modification has to be easily worth 500-700 dollars. Great work :Nixon::punk:

Your retooled dash looks great. Seems very steam punkish.

I want to thank everyone here for their suggestions. I'm taking notes.

@miles long:
:worthy: You have just become a hero of mine. Looking at your extreme modifications, I could only ponder the amount of work it took. Your gas tank solves at least 3 problems immediately. Problems solved:

1) Saddlebags don't block the levers for tank access.

2) Extra gas for long rides.
3) I have more options when selecting a front seat since gas access is not a problem

That modification has to be easily worth 500-700 dollars. Great work
:Nixon::punk:

Your retooled dash looks great. Seems very steam punkish.

Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Deekjx.
I have never kept track of the number of hours I have logged doing my mods, but I'm sure it would scare me to death to know (more accurately, my wife would beat me to death). One-off mods usually require a lot of trial and error, and time. I have boxes of rejected parts as a result. But this is part of my mojo - fabrication is so good for the soul.
The aux. gas tank only holds about three litres, but gives me a range of about 260 kilometers before the warning light. I have another larger tank that I use when I have my bags and trunk mounted, that replaces the rear seat. The filler is located on one side of the trunk - again, no fiddling with popping the seat open.
By the way, there is a very simple mod that can be done to enable activating the seat latches without touching the existing finger catches. I'll post some pics, next time I have my rear fender off the bike.
Thanks again!
p.s. "steam punkish" .... new to me.
Are you originally a Brit? I thought of Rod Stewart's/Long John Baldry's original band, The Steam Packet.

The size and the shape of the stock faux tank was one of the design features of the Max I did not like - I wanted the tank to look more like a "real" gas tank. So I re-worked the existing tank, making it taller and wider, and incorporating a stereo/CDplayer in place of the instrument consol. See my "Modifications" album, under my public profile, for a few pics.
This job was not all that difficult, but I have been a shadetree autobody repairman for a few decades - doing whatever it takes to keep my "beaters" on the road.

You are correct about the trade schools - they might be your best bet to have someone do this tank conversion for you, for little money or maybe for no charge. If that is not an option in your case, I would look around for someone that does bodywork "on the side" The most expensive option would be to take your project to a reputable autobody shop.
Regardless of who does the work, re-working an OEM tank eliminates the difficult aspect of fabrication, the initial fitting of the part to the bike. With all the brackets, slots and keylocks already in place, the job becomes much less complicated. One tip -make sure enough clearance is left at the top of the tank to allow for the turning of the handlebars. Don't ask me how I know of this.
Also regardless of who does the work, it would be advisable to pick up a used faux tank (of course it could be one in very poor condition, therefore very inexpensive), and wail away at this one, keeping your bike on the road in the meantime. It may take awhile to complete, and may have to be re-done to your satisfaction.
Cheers, and good luck!
i " MILES " , I WENT INTO YOUR ALBUMS AND MAN , THATS FRIGGING WILD ! :punk:

I take my hat off to you my friend. Those are some thoughtful mods :worthy:

Dave, Gleno- Thanks for the kind words.
The modifications are to continue, but I can see "the light at the end of the tunnel."
My last major mod will be custom hard bags, either fibreglass or a plastic/vinyl hybrid, narrower but taller than the soft bags I'm using now, when touring.
Oh, and maybe a Venture rear pumpkin, for better mileage.
Come to think of it, lowers for the larger fairing, for a bit of leg protection.
And a larger windshield for the smaller fairing. And perhaps..........
W.T.F.! Just forget what I said about that light at the end of the tunnel crap..............
Cheers

Latest posts

Back