Favorite chain lube?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't lubed a chain in over 20 years (except for my kids' bikes), but I got to yesterday. I'm using Maxima chain wax, as recommended by the guy at the parts counter for O-ring chains. :confused2:

You guys have a tried and true favorite I should look at?

Thanks.

Chain lube? :ummm: What's chain lube for?? :confused2: Sounds messy and noisy to me!:biglaugh:

My brother uses some, and I'll quote him..."non-slinging, dry crap that I got from the Yamaha shop". It goes on wet and then dries, seems to work. He has had it on for about 2k miles. I'll call him later to see what the name is...and get more specifics on how he likes it.

I haven't lubed a chain in over 20 years (except for my kids' bikes), but I got to yesterday. I'm using Maxima chain wax, as recommended by the guy at the parts counter for O-ring chains. :confused2:

You guys have a tried and true favorite I should look at?

Thanks.

Yamaha used to make a real good chain & cable lube. But like you said that was over 20 yrs ago

Maxima is good stuff, don't think you can go wrong with their products.

(Chain? That that big long flexy thing that used to keep the back tire from falling off them old time motorsickles? Damn........been years!! They still make them thaings? :rofl_200::rofl_200:)

Chain lube? :ummm: What's chain lube for?? :confused2: Sounds messy and noisy to me!:biglaugh:

My brother uses some, and I'll quote him..."non-slinging, dry crap that I got from the Yamaha shop". It goes on wet and then dries, seems to work. He has had it on for about 2k miles. I'll call him later to see what the name is...and get more specifics on how he likes it.

I haven't seen anything this gooey and nasty since high school. :ummm:

Thanks for checking on that for me. It's beginning to appear that 'which chain lube?' question is about like asking 'synthetic or not' for the Max. The real world experience from long time riders on this forum is invaluable. And then there's dannymax.

Thx.

Chain? That that big long flexy thing that used to keep the back tire from falling off them old time motorsickles? Damn........been years!! They still make them thaings? :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Yeah, some of them cheap Japanese imports still use 'em. Look closely, though I know it's hard to see the chain from that far back...
bitchslap.gif

Hmmm, I see your point. We ever go riding I probably need to stock up on tear-offs, huh? :biglaugh:

LOL, probably not. See my user title. My 'failure to signal intent' ticket I got a couple of weeks ago I found out is gonna possibly cost me $190. I can't imagine what a healthy speeding ticket costs these days. Get one of those, and I'll be back to eating cheese sandwiches, like in college. :bang head:

I haven't seen anything this gooey and nasty since high school. :ummm:

Thanks for checking on that for me. It's beginning to appear that 'which chain lube?' question is about like asking 'synthetic or not' for the Max. The real world experience from long time riders on this forum is invaluable. And then there's dannymax.

Thx.
My brother uses a Amsoil dry chain lube that sprays on his FZ1 chain. He picked it up from Napa here locally. He says he reapplys it every 1000 to 1200 miles. He used to use a yamaha chain lube but with all the sand in our area it would pick up sand and he would have to clean it often.
I used Boshield t-9 on my mountain bike chain but I don't know if it would be appropiate to use on a motorcycle chain.

LOL, probably not. See my user title. My 'failure to signal intent' ticket I got a couple of weeks ago I found out is gonna possibly cost me $190. I can't imagine what a healthy speeding ticket costs these days. Get one of those, and I'll be back to eating cheese sandwiches, like in college. :bang head:

$190, WOW!! "Back in the day" I got an excess of 100 in a 30. Sure as hell wouldn't want to get one of them in Texas now. :tantrum:

They still have the death penalty there, don't they? :hammer bash:

They still have the death penalty there, don't they? :hammer bash:

I'll let you know. Tonight's bike night (same place I got my ticket). Perhaps I'll commit a capital offense (like parking crooked in my Sonic parking stall). Off with his head!

Looks like I'm going to get away with $107 in court costs, and four hours in defensive driving class for my ticket being removed from my record. Oh, joy.

I've got a chain wax, seems to work well. Always apply after a ride, and I lube it every 400 miles or so. Chains are expensive to replace.

I'll let you know. Tonight's bike night (same place I got my ticket). Perhaps I'll commit a capital offense (like parking crooked in my Sonic parking stall). Off with his head!

Looks like I'm going to get away with $107 in court costs, and four hours in defensive driving class for my ticket being removed from my record. Oh, joy.

Wowee!! They're out to disperse the bikers...no?

Try not going off the deep end and doin' somethin' really radical like double parking!! :bang head:

If you do lose control, best I can tell ya, buddy.............we'll show up for the execution. :rofl_200:

Back