Final drive breather

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's press fitted. The cap is glued on the inner press in portion. It's not an easy removal.

Sean

I broke mine removing it. I'd say it must be a hard task to remove it without braking it. Its a tube fitted on the case that ends on a conical shape with a small orifice. Then it has the round cap tack welded to the conical tip... Flimsy weld though. Try soak it with thread loosener or WD-40 to see if you can remove it with out braking it. I didn't care much because i removed it to replace it for a little filter so i just threw that on the trash bin...

Garret that billet ones that Tom sells are just covers that go on top of the stock diff vent. If you remove the stock vent you need to get a piece of tube to fit on the case. I used stainless water piping, found to be exactly the same diameter (18mm if i remember correctly)...

Got it out ok without breaking it.The breather is an OEM replacement listed.I have already purchased the billet cap from Tom at PythonMotorSports, they look great.I think i will go with your idea Fred of the stainless tubing because that alloy top cap is flimsy spot weld.
The swingarm was only painted and not powder coated.
You`ve all been a great help. Safe ridding guy`s!

Garret that billet ones that Tom sells are just covers that go on top of the stock diff vent. If you remove the stock vent you need to get a piece of tube to fit on the case. I used stainless water piping, found to be exactly the same diameter (18mm if i remember correctly)...
Fred, how did you fasten the stainless water pipe onto the housing? Spot weld?

Fred, how did you fasten the stainless water pipe onto the housing? Spot weld?

Funny as it may look it fit snug i "installed" it using a rubber mallet and some love tapping... LOL. I used SS water piping that is used to run outside the walls like these ones below... I got a piece from the junkyard didn't even needed to machine the sucker... Its like 1mm thick wall...

image.php

4.jpg

I broke mine removing it.

I destroyed mine removing it too.
At first I thought it was going okay, then the cap came off leaving the cone. So, the big channel locks came out and from there it was out in a second.
I replaced it with a breather filter. I've noticed for a piece that does next to nothing, it gets noticed and complemented a lot.

backhalf.jpg

Funny as it may look it fit snug i "installed" it using a rubber mallet and some love tapping... LOL. I used SS water piping that is used to run outside the walls like these ones below... I got a piece from the junkyard didn't even needed to machine the sucker... Its like 1mm thick wall...

image.php

4.jpg
Ah ha! That's awesome, love it when you can pick a unusual part for a fix!

I destroyed mine removing it too.
At first I thought it was going okay, then the cap came off leaving the cone. So, the big channel locks came out and from there it was out in a second.
I replaced it with a breather filter. I've noticed for a piece that does next to nothing, it gets noticed and complemented a lot.

backhalf.jpg

I have the exact same filter in black version. Bad picture but you get it... i got the pipe in there and left a 3/4" protruding from the case to attach the filter...

img3642w.jpg

i just fit a random filter over the existing cap. lost mine last year in the 'laptop' incident so i gotta re-do it this year.

and i think that cap would fit over if the sides, just no the top was intact? perhaps?

I tried to work it out easy but the cap snapped off in about a second. After that, I said to hell with it and twisted it out with vise grips.

Attachments

• 2012-03-19_19-28-52_548.jpg
    2012-03-19_19-28-52_548.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2012-03-19_19-28-39_608.jpg
    2012-03-19_19-28-39_608.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2012-03-19_19-28-57_930.jpg
    2012-03-19_19-28-57_930.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2012-03-19_19-28-32_78.jpg
    2012-03-19_19-28-32_78.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 30
I should have new chromed ones if desired. You could probably silicon it back on but don't block the breather hole (seen in the picture)

Back