VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I decided to ship my differential out for chrome. I figured I would try to disassemble it down to the bare case to same some money in the process. To be truthful, I was a little intiminated by the process. There is a lot of talk about special tools and troublesome tasks in the manual.

I can say that I did accomplish teardown without much of an issue. Hopefully assembly goes just as smooth. I am open to any suggestions from folks who have done the process.

If anyone is thinking about tearing into one I can offer up some pointers that I learned in the process. By NO means am I an expert. As noted in the thread title, this is shadetree mechanic style.

The first thing I did was fab up a plate to hold the differential. Something large and sturdy was needed as there will be a lot of force applied when removing parts.

I placed the plate on the back of the swingarm and traced the hole pattern for the rear differential mounting studs. Once the stud location is marked on the plate you need to find the center point between all 4 stud holes. This is simply done by drawing a X over the 4 holes. I drilled the 4 mounting hole with a 3/8" bit and reamed them slightly. I then grabbed a 2.5" holesaw and drilled a hole in the center of the differential studs. However, a 2.5" hole is not large enough, I had to file the hole slightly larger to allow the pinion bearing retainer to be removed.

Here is what the plate looks like mounted to the differential
2012-03-19_19-15-34_899.jpg

Once the differential is mounted you need to work on removing the pinion nut. First step here is to "un-stake" the nut. From the factory, this nut is hit with a punch to lock it in place. This is easily accomplished with a small screwdriver, punch, or awl. Don't drive the tool too deeply or else you could mar the threads behind.

At this point, you would need a special tool from yamaha to hold the gear coupling from rotating while removing the pinion nut. I needed to improvise. I removed the drive assembly (clutch hub) from the rear wheel. Just remove one snap ring and it slides right off the wheel. Insert the assembly into the rear differential. Now, take a STRONG bar (I used a 24" forged cresent wrench) and place it between the drive studs that fit into the wheel dampers and orient it so that the bar will wedge against the vise when you loosen the pinion nut. This will keep the gears from turning when you loosen the pinion nut. Mine was on tighter than hell. I stress using a strong bar because this is what happens when I tried using a piece of sch 40, 1/2" rigid conduit .
2012-03-19_19-29-24_992.jpg

The pinion nut comes of counter clockwise. It has normal threads. There is a washer behind the nut, and the gear coupling should now slide right off.

You are now ready to remove the clutch hub and set it aside. You can also remove the center section that houses the ring gear. Loosen the nuts and two bolts in a criss cross fashion. Once these are removed, you need to pry the center section out of the housing. It is a tight fit. Do just a little at a time, working your way around the housing. Once you break it free a little it will come off much easier.

Once the center section is free, remove it. Be ready to soak up some gear oil no matter how well you thought you drained the diff. The plastic shroud will now lift right off the housing.

Now, you will want to remove the pinion bearing retainer. This needs turned CLOCKWISE. It has reverse threads. The retainer has 4 slots in it and again, you should have a special tool for this. I went to the auto parts store and found a 1-5/8" hub socket with 4 prongs that I modified to fit. Modification was just a little filing of the 4 pins to fit the slots of the diff.
2012-03-19_19-27-17_213.jpg

2012-03-19_19-27-27_353.jpg

The tool worked great and the bearing retainer removed quite easily. It is supposed to be torqued to 80 ft-lbs but mine seemed much looser.

Before removing the pinion gear and bearing you need to remove some other parts for access. There is a guide collar that the axle slides through. It is pressed into the case. I used a bearing/bushing driver to tap it from the case. Install the driver on the outside of the case where the axle nut goes and tap it thru. Next step is to remove the large needle bearing that the center section rides on. I used a large drift to tap it out. Insert the drift from the out side of the case and lightly tap it out. Behind this bearing there is an oil seal. Again, tap it out of the case with a drift.

Now, you are ready to remove the pinion gear. It runs on two bearings. One ball bearing is pressed onto the shaft and there is an oil seal also. This will come out as one assembly. There is a needle bearing in the case that will remain.

To remove the pinion gear I grabbed a thin drift and lightly tapped on the tip of it. The tip is accessible in a small hole in the case where the needle bearing is. Be careful not to get carried away and smack it right out of the case and onto the floor. It does not come out very easily so I don't see this happening.

The needle bearing that the tip of the pinion rides on is the next step. I've heard this one can be tough. I must have got lucky. I borrowed a blind bearing puller from the auto parts store. I grabbed a piece of rubber mat and lined the bore of the differential where the pinion bearing retainer threads are to prevent marring them when I install the puller. The puller is difficult to tighten because it is inside the differential and not much room for a wrench, it is possible though. Be sure that the puller has a good bite on the bearing. One swift hit of the dead blow and it popped out.

2012-03-19_19-14-43_501.jpg

2012-03-19_19-15-12_798.jpg

Now, the only thing left is the vent. I was unable to remove the vent without damaging it. I tried to work it out easy but the cap snapped right off. Once the cap snapped off, I gripped the body of the vent with vise grips and twisted it right out.

2012-03-19_19-28-57_930.jpg

If all went well your housing should be bare and your ready to rebuild it.
2012-03-19_19-15-02_780.jpg

I will try to remember to take some better photos of reassembly showing some more detail

Nice, but, next time leave the vent in place and they will chrome it too!

Sean

Does the OEM vent actually vent to atmosphere? When I was looking at it, it appears the orifice was closed up with weld where it attached to the cap. It it really a vent, or is it more like an expansion area?

It does actually vent. There is a tiny hole it vents out to.

Sean

Do you have to do any gear adjustements (like on a car diff) when re-assembling? I'd like to get my pumpkin powdercoated but I'm affraid to take it apart for that reason, lol.

I have a venture diff if it makes any different.

I am wondering the same thing. I did some reading in the manual. Shim size is calculated by the numbers on the housing and the gears. The bearings themselves are supposedly uniform in construction and should not have an effect on lash but, you SHOULD check it after replacing any bearing.

I was able to tear it apart without harming any bearings except the needle bearing for the pinion snout. Not sure how much I will replace when I rebuild, I may go for the one that support the ring gear housing as well just to be safe.

Other thing I read is that shim size is dicated by the markings on the housing and the gear. Unless you replace the pinion, I don't think you need to change shims on it at all. But, you may have to fiddle with shims on the ring gear to correct lash. If you do change shims on the ring gear you have to change the thrush washer also. Once you get it set you have to take it apart again to check the distance between the ring gear and ring gear stoppers and adjust the shims under those to make sure it is correct.

All that being said, I will most likely just put it together and run it :biglaugh:

mines painted and its held up well where other paint hasn't. maybe truck bed liner for a little extra durability? or the engine paint stuff?

mines painted and its held up well where other paint hasn't. maybe truck bed liner for a little extra durability? or the engine paint stuff?
Yea, I was thinking engine paint, it seems to be tougher then regular paint. I'll just have to find semi-gloss to match the black PC.

yea truck bed liner would be textured.

just get whatever and clear-coat satin over it.

Finally got around to putting my differential back together. Things went fairly easy but I think I might have a problem...Not too sure.

Before I took it apart I never measured the lash. I checked it by hand as it seemed somewhat loose. I was able to grab the gear coupling and wiggle it a bit which, in turn made the whole pinion gear move very slightly. I figured this was normal.

When I started to take it apart, I noticed the bearing retainer was somewhat loose. Definitely not torqued to 80 ft lbs as noted in the manual. I though maybe that had something to do with the wiggly gear coupling, or maybe it was normal?

I put it all back together using the same gears. I did not touch the shims. Tightened everything to spec, and noticed that I still have some backlash and the gear coupling still feels "wiggly".

I looked in the manual and see that lash is supposed to be .1-.2 mm or .004-.008". I set up a dial indicator and I am measuring .244" Big difference there. I spoke with Sean briefly to discuss and we did not come up with much other than he mentioned that I should measure from the face of the differential that mates with the swingarm to the face of the bearing retainer. He gave me a range of measurements and I was right in the middle. So, it seems that the retainer is down in far enough. I even gave it a few extra fl lbs of torque just to see if it made a difference. It did not.

I searched around the net looking for info on rebuilding a vmax/venture diff and did not come up with much other than this:
http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=001006&id=383
Pretty nice article.

I have attached a video showing me grabbing the gear coupling and moving it. If anyone has a differential sitting around and could let me know if theirs is similar or not, I would appreciate it.

Here are a couple pics I took just in case anyone is curious what it looks like in there.

You can see the needle bearings are seated all the way. That is the only thing I changed.

Attachments

• DSC09121.JPG
    DSC09121.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC09122.JPG
    DSC09122.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC09123.JPG
    DSC09123.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC09124.JPG
    DSC09124.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC09125.JPG
    DSC09125.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC09126.JPG
    DSC09126.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 41
I have a couple that are loose in the front like that and not really sure what the "problem" is (or isn't).

Mike,

You have me at a disadvantage as I have never taken one of these apart, but I will attempt to shed some light on your findings. It is my opinion that your set up to measure this is incorrect. You should have your dial indicator perpendiculiar to the gear coupling and directly on the centerline as well. Your set up is introducing a false reading. Think of a grandfather clocks pendulum. Near its pivot point, the movement is very small, but out at the end the pendulum has a much greater movement. You have introduced that pendulum or folcrum into your measurement by being as far away from the centerline as you are now. If you were to move your dial indicator down to the end of the metal tab you have now, your .244" dimension would increase. Try going off the centerline of the coupling. You will get an accurate reading. I am sure it will be 1/3 to 1/4 of the current value or maybe even less than you are getting now. It will still be out of spec from the .004" to .008" you mentioned from the book. Did the book also show how they measured it to get that value? Try this and see what happens. Also, by being as far away from the centerline as you are, any rotation in the coupling will add to the dimension you are currently getting. Change your set up and you will be getting a true reading in my opinion.

Todd

Point taken on the distance from pinon C/L to where I am taking the measurement. In my research, I have found that this measurement is supposed to be 2.36" away from the pinion C/L. That distance has been measured, marked, and is where the dial indicator is setup.

I fully agree that taking a measurement closer to the gear coupling would yield a # much closer to the spec. Maybe the # I found is incorrect? Not sure.

Mike,

OK, if they want the measurement taken at that distance then your set up is correct. I wonder why they would spec that distance though. It will be interesting to see what other information is out there on this. At that distance, I would venture a guess that .004"-.008" will be next to impossible to achieve though. The tolerances would have to be perfect to get that number at 2.36" away from the centerline. Hopefully the mystery will be solved!

Todd

After talking with Sean and taking some more measurements and tightening up the bering retainer and pinion nut a bit more I'm gonna say its good to go. Havent had a lot of time to wrench lately. This thing has been sitting on in the vise for months!

After all is said and done I went and put some loctite on the pinion nut and then got ready to stake the nut in place and I can't figure out how the hell anyone can get a punch in there to stake the pinion nut. There is no room. Sometimes its the simple things that are the hardest, LOL.

Open to any pointers.

Latest posts

Back