Final Drive leak from coupling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Different question..I have an extra final drive and put some oil in it. When I look directly into the shaft drive coupling area, I see oil weeping out of one of the two small holes (180 degrees apart) in the bottom of the coupling. I think the same thing is happening with the final drive currently on the bike. Are these overflow holes? Is oil supposed to be coming out from here? There seems to be no seal to prevent it from coming out..is this correct? Don't worry about it or how do I fix it?

OK noticing more..the more I look at it...appears oil is supposed to leak in that area and then is sealed by the drive shaft seal..is this correct? Could be my driveshaft seal in that case. Also I've got an extra a couple of extra shaft drives and it appears that one is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer than the other. Are these from different years or maybe one is a Venture? Maybe i will switch to the slightly longer shaft to create more pressure on that drive shaft seal?

Oil is designed to come out that area and the seals on the driveshaft do seal it in.

The longer shaft I think is the Vmax shaft. The venture shafts were slightly different and i thought shorter.

Sean

Different question..I have an extra final drive and put some oil in it. When I look directly into the shaft drive coupling area, I see oil weeping out of one of the two small holes (180 degrees apart) in the bottom of the coupling. I think the same thing is happening with the final drive currently on the bike. Are these overflow holes? Is oil supposed to be coming out from here? There seems to be no seal to prevent it from coming out..is this correct? Don't worry about it or how do I fix it?

OK noticing more..the more I look at it...appears oil is supposed to leak in that area and then is sealed by the drive shaft seal..is this correct? Could be my driveshaft seal in that case. Also I've got an extra a couple of extra shaft drives and it appears that one is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer than the other. Are these from different years or maybe one is a Venture? Maybe i will switch to the slightly longer shaft to create more pressure on that drive shaft seal?

NO... The drive shaft is supposed to be free and its kept in place by 2 circlips on each end. Its supposed to have some free play for swinging. If you put a longer shaft it will go through the U-joint and may bind on the crossmember of the U-joint. The seal is a bearing/axle type seal that is held in the alloy enclosure where the 3 bolts go through to fix it to the block. The engine side U-joint end is machined for sealing purposes. its held in place with a locknut that keeps the U-joint in the splined section...

Fred

I'm wondering if I have the venture driveshaft in there now so the slightly longer one may be the vmax shaft. Does anyone have a length measurement of the driveshaft then I'll know what I'm dealing with

I have an extra one but i don't have it here with me... Sean or Kyle may help you. They surely have them on hand...

Fred

I'm wondering if I have the venture driveshaft in there now so the slightly longer one may be the vmax shaft. Does anyone have a length measurement of the driveshaft then I'll know what I'm dealing with

Standby....I've got one in front of me. What do you need to know??

Dale #2592

Thanks..thats what I have installed then...also got a different one that is 13 and 3/4..don't know what it is from though.

Venture I would think. With all that good vmax stuff in his head Sean just may have got it backwards.:ummm:

Dale #2592

So even with a venture drive, we should be running a vmax shaft? I just swapped my final drive out from venture to stock and used the shaft that was running the bike as there was no extra shaft with this project. It went back in really easily.... Almost without fighting me at all. It's possible that I got lucky with the splines, but I really don't want to have to wait to find another drive shaft if this one is going to mess me up. If a venture shaft is required, then the PO did that part, but now I'm sorta screwed. I'm pretty sure it will be fine, although I haven't started it up to see if it will drive the wheel or not.

So the real question is... Will a venture final drive the bike with a stock shaft?

So even with a venture drive, we should be running a vmax shaft? I just swapped my final drive out from venture to stock and used the shaft that was running the bike as there was no extra shaft with this project. It went back in really easily.... Almost without fighting me at all. It's possible that I got lucky with the splines, but I really don't want to have to wait to find another drive shaft if this one is going to mess me up. If a venture shaft is required, then the PO did that part, but now I'm sorta screwed. I'm pretty sure it will be fine, although I haven't started it up to see if it will drive the wheel or not.

So the real question is... Will a venture final drive the bike with a stock shaft?

And the answer seems to be yes, as I've finished hooking mine up. Sorry for the thread-jack.

Back