Final Drive oil..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Any brand in particular - or just whatever the manual suggests?

I am going through a list of maintenance I want to do - as I have zero clue what was done prior to my purchase..

I am swapping the oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, synch carbs, final drive oil...

Looks easy enough in the manual :)
________
Willys Jeep Truck history

Last edited:

I am going through a list of maintenance I want to do - as I have zero clue what was done prior to my purchase..

I am swapping the oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, synch carbs, final drive oil...

Good idea Ghost....little thing like a dirty fuel filter can show up in all sorts of different ways!

danny

i use the mobil 1 75w90 (i believe, not the 140) on mine. change it every other oil change.

I use the readily available Mobil-1 oil from Auto-Zone. Wally world has it too. I just don't shop there unless I HAVE to.

I bought some for Maleko89 there last year in Topeka.

Chris

For a replacement fuel filter, You should get the glass see through one so you can see what it`s trapping and you can seperate them and pop in another filter.
They are $10.00 but worth it.
Sorry:hijacked:LOL.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Ya for the gear oil (any oil really) stay with an oil with low ash content the easiest way to check without doing a bunch of research is the clearer the oil the lower ash content. But with such frequent changes these days its really up to what your wanting to spend. Some other easy changes is the brake and clutch fluid. Good Luck, Roy

Awesome. Thanks.

I am not too sure about bleeding the brakes yet.
I don't have any equipment to do it - and I am not 100% sure how to do it.
I am hoping to have a few of the Oshawa durham guys over very soon for some Cartuneing if they are interested - and hopefully someone can check over the Max for me - as I she's still all new to me :) - but i'm learning and don't mind trying things myself.
________
buy vaporizers

Last edited:
all u need to bleed your brakes is:
- an 8mm wrench
- a #2 philips screwdriver to open the master cylinder reservoir cover
- some clear hose that fits the bleed nipple
- a container for the old fluid
- some fresh brake fluid
- someone to pump the brake lever/pedal

It's dead easy - you open the nipple slightly, pull the brake lever to squish old fluid out. Close the nipple, release the brake lever. Repeat until bubble-free nice fresh fluid comes out. Don't forget to top up reservoir as needed.
WARNING: protect all paint/bodywork, brake fluid is a fantastic paint stripper!

Awesome. Thanks.

I am not too sure about bleeding the brakes yet.
I don't have any equipment to do it - and I am not 100% sure how to do it.
I am hoping to have a few of the Oshawa durham guys over very soon for some Cartuneing if they are interested - and hopefully someone can check over the Max for me - as I she's still all new to me :) - but i'm learning and don't mind trying things myself.

I'm not far from you so I will try and make it over. This week is soccer playoffs so it might not happen this week.

ghost. i'd consider getting a mityvac if u can swing it.

OK

I swapped my final drive oil...

Now here is the question :

How much oil do you guys get in there?
My hanes book says 0.4 Litres. No way I even got close to putting 0.4 Litres in.
It took maybe 0.2Litres?

The oil that was in there was crystal clear. Probably swapped by the dealership before I bought it.

But the same amount came out as the amount I put it. Didn't see like a lot at all.

How much do YOU guys put it?
________
Ferrari 512 specifications

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did.

I filled it so it was coming out of the fill hole!
Still the amount that would fit was like a little under half of a 500ml water bottle.
________
vapolution vaporizer

Last edited:
i think my book said .2l as well ghost. mine was black when it came out so thats good news!

if i remember correctly it was like .275L?

basically as magnum says, put it level and fill to the very top of the threads. so its almost overflowing. turn the wheel while ur doing it to make sure u got it everywehre then let it sit for 30 secodns to see where the level actually is.

I heard it is not recommended to use a synthetic oil in a wet clutch application on the Max; however, that should not imply in the final drive gear oil right?

My owner's manual indicates oil quantity to be:

0.20 L (0.21 US qt.) (0.18 Imp.qt)

The Haynes service & repair manual #4072 indicates 0.2 litre.

DO NOT use Redline brand in the diff, it will tater up your seal, it will leak, and you will cry. This is the voice of experience.

Back