Final mod, brake light when in neutral.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
I decided I wanted to do this mod.

This is a mod that will light the brake lights when you are in NEUTRAL, only if the KICKSTAND is UP.

I first discovered rear brake modulators, and realized that would be a good safety addition. Those send various flashing patterns to the rear brakes when the brake levers (front or rear) are applied. Then, I read about some rear modulations systems that tie into your electronic speed sensor, and will flash the brakes while you are slowing, or while you are stopped even without brakes on.... So, I thought that would be good too. Now, I am a rider that often sits at a light in NEUTRAL, hands off brakes, feet on street. Though some advise this is not safe (preferring to stay in first gear and be ready for evasive maneuvers)... still, for my style and comfort (back pain), it is what I do. So I realized, CRAP, when I'm sitting there resting my fat ass, my brakes are not lit, and I run an increased risk of getting plowed over... Hence the reason for this mod.

Again, it lights the brakes when the bike is in NEUTRAL, but only IF my kickstand is in the UP position. .. The reason I added this logic is because I didn't want my brakes flashing away as my bike warmed up in the parking lot while on its kickstand. Once I hop on and kick up the stand, the brakes begin signaling UNTIL I kick it into gear. Once in gear (NOT IN NEUTRAL) the normal brake logic applies).

Here is the current schematic on how the Neutral and Sidestand are wired.
Both are located behind the left side tank cover. The wires leading to the kickstand are joined by a connector. I have labeled those wires K1, 2, 3, 4 respectively. Also shown is the SkyBlue Neutral wire. It already has a bullet connector in line should you choose to patch in there.

(Pic)
current switching.jpg

Here is my mod.
Relay1 (Kickstand Relay) detects whether the stand is UP or DOWN. I do this by adding 12v to the relay coil, then to K3 heading toward the kickstand. (all 12v power was pulled from the signaling fuse line straight from the back of the fuse box) If the kickstand is UP (switch closed), then this circuit will ground through wire K4 ( i grounded this on the bolt securing the tank latch bracket, near the tank lock area) then the relay will activate, and 2 things happen.

1. the original kickstand wires are reconnected (K1 to K2) as if they were never changed.
2. 12v is also sent over to the Relay2.

Relay2 detects whether the Neutral Switch is closed (Ground), if in neutral the relay will energize and 12v will go to the brakes. I tied into the brake wire by accessing the wires on the right side of the moto, under the seat, to the right of the fuel fill valve. If you removed the black taping, you will see the YELLOW main brake wire. This is where i tapped in. (BTW, I added my SignalDynamics Back Off XP modulator to this same point, just in series after this mod.) If the bike is in Gear (ie riding), no power reaches brakes by way of this mod.

(pic)
new mod.jpg

This was a crap load of trial and error because I wasn't that skilled at the diagrams. Still, I think it will be a nice convenience.

Last edited:
Back