VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxguru

Reaction score

From my Website:
This was the end of a very long project. It was the final testing of the ECU Re-Flash for the Second Generation Yamaha Star V-Max. I needed proof the product would function properly, so who else better to call than the Legendary Jay Gleason. The bikes setup was simple. Aside from being equipped with our Basic Stock Kit, we also spooned on a Goodyear Drag Slick. The deal I had made myself was it needed to cut at least 1/10 of a second off of the best run of any other ECU we tried that night before I would open my web store and start selling the service. After making the first pass with the Re-Flashed ECU, it was obvious what we had in our hands. Immeditely following the first run, Jay's comments thru his helmet are priceless. With Jay at the helm, later that night the bike would go on to set the record for a V-Max in full stock trim of 9.59 seconds. More than I could ever hope for. After what my partner and I have went thru to develop this product, my reactions are a little raw rather than professional. Please excuse the slight profanity, as I could not keep my composure. Thanks to Jay Luedecke for use of his stock 09 V-Max, my partner for all the help, and most of all, Jay Gleason. You are still "The Man" on a V-Max! All this being said, please enjoy the video.

Last edited:
Great job Tim! The video wasn't able to play "unavailable", but I'm sure it is still being loaded in youtube or something.

Jeff

Thanks!
High Def 640mb. It's going to take some time to crunch.

Incredible. Very cool. This is a mod that's ridiculously tough to NOT buy.

After thinking about this for a bit, here's s suggestion. Perhaps offer a 'subscription service' rather than a one-time, pay your money ECU reflash service. For example, when someone signs up, they get a reflash, then as you improve the firmware, or as perhaps the owner adds mods, then a reflash at a later date could be obtained at a lower cost. You could sell an ongoing subscription for reasonable price/year...or something.

Good luck with the sales, and perhaps after Christmas...I can snag one for my still stock '09.

Like minds! If you visit the GuruedGear site and go to the Re-Flashed ECU page, the release of liability form has a Q n A attached to it. You may want to download and read that. If I improve the file or you purchase a a bundled combo, I will re-flash the new tune into your ECU for $45. This basically covers the cost and labor for my parts guy, Matt, to be readily on hand to do it.

Tim Nash
GuruedGear.com

Last edited:
Congrats Tim on all your hard work finally paying off! Now all we need for the rest of us who have modified bikes is a christmas present also. Is the v-roomy kit coming soon?

I have pushed hard to finish this one. It consumed most of my time so I made little progress on the V-Roomy. Now that I have this under my belt, I am pushing for completing the first V-Roomy Air Intake product by late January. I have filed for a patent on another intake system that was a spin off of the V-Roomy. I am tuning kits in the meantime.

Thanks,
Tim Nash
GuruedGear.com

I want to keep the stock intake setup, so please put me on the list. Late christmas present is ok also!

I can only imagine the euphoria and sense of vindication this effort has yielded you Tim. Here is what two years of intensive research, trial and error and superior intellect can do! Here is undisputable video documentation of a "real" Vmax not some artificial or hybrid bike far removed from a stock bike. Hats off to Mr. Gleason and his god given talent to go fast and the cajones to exercise that talent. Hey Jay, we would love to see you at C.C or Ft. Myers bike night. There is usually five or six of us Vmaxers there and I don't think we would mob you. Congrats, you guys did what Star could not! PATMAX

Very nice Tim! :clapping:

Question:
To WHAT you were able to dig-in there?
Only basic AF table and ignition parameters?

Or maybe everythig "like ABS table, sensor signals, speedo output even etc" is there?

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! To put it mildly....

Makes me wish I had a Gen II instead of 2 Gen I's....

Congrats

That was Green with Envy BTW...

Tim, any gut feel on whether the performance improvements obtained by the ECU reflash will be more (or less) dramatic on a bike with improved intake/exhaust as compared to the changes seen on the stocker?

Also, any general comments about driveability of the reflashed bike...you know, for those times during offroad competition when you might have to park it in a lot or, ahem, whatever? :biglaugh:

Tim, any gut feel on whether the performance improvements obtained by the ECU reflash will be more (or less) dramatic on a bike with improved intake/exhaust as compared to the changes seen on the stocker?

Also, any general comments about driveability of the reflashed bike...you know, for those times during offroad competition when you might have to park it in a lot or, ahem, whatever? :biglaugh:

I would say more power and less forgiving. When time allows, I will go into some depth to explain what I have done. Let me give you a short explanation now. The bike is still very drivable like it always has been. The stock file I have built has a lot of extra fuel removed, so the fuel economy is better. You will find the throttle more crisp and reactive. You will not be able to rip it wide open in first gear "at will" like you can the currently available ECU's. The factory ECU's are both severely De-Tuned. For example, the YCC-T is De-Tuned via its opening rate. Until the bike reaches 32 MPH, the YCC-T follows the "Limp Home" opening rate. Once 32 MPH is surpassed, the YCC-T start to fully open the throttles via the opening rate commonly observed on a dyno. If you would like to simulate how restrictive this is, either pull the speed signal from the ECU or remove the wheel speed sensors. This will cause an error and send the bike into "Limp Home" mode. When you go for a spin, you will experience the very "Limp Home" opening rate I speak of.

I also want it to be known my YCC-T tables do not follow the throttle grip and rip open fully upon command unless you want them to operate that way. There is some power to be found in opening the throttles to the optimal opening angle at different engine speeds below 5k RPM. I re-mapped the YCC-T to move to the percent of throttle opening that makes the best HP at that particular engine speed.

Next, there are several ignition maps used, all having at least 2 degrees and some maps more than 10 degrees of timing retard below optimal. I have corrected all maps to be optimal and identical.

The individual cylinder mapping seems to be a nice plus when I match the ECU to the kits I sell, but knowing what I know, it is not something that would prohibit me from purchasing the service now. All of the current fuel controllers will work fine to correct the air to fuel ratio. The only downside to purchasing the Re-Flash service outside a kit form will be the possible necessity to re-tune the fuel controller to match the new fuel curves in the ECU. Although they are different from the original, they are not horridly different. One thing to consider, I may never build a kit that matches your particular setup but if I do build a better matching file, the Re-Flash will be $45 for former re-flash customers.

These De-Tuning features are brilliantly hidden in the ECU's and went relatively undiscovered until we dug into the code of both chips. I'll mince no words when I say that as we continued to decode this, it became obvious this service would be the "Holy Grail" of performance upgrades for the V-Max. I shut the VMaxGuru site Blog down to pursue it. What we offer with the Re-Flashed ECU is the best throttle opening and ignition timing advance to make full power at any speed and every gear.

Personally, I consider Red-Light to Red-Light street racing to be an event that happens in the first three gears. That being said, let me sum this up with a scenario. If you are out enjoying the performance of your modestly modified V-Max one summer day and you happen to find yourself at a red light with a equally skilled and equal weight hoodlum that is illegally riding around on the street with my ECU in a stock sleeper bike, in a Red-Light to Red-Light race, you will get your ass handed to you.

Of this, I am almost certain. ;-)

Thanks,
Tim Nash
GuruedGear.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the extensive answer, Tim. I am really looking forward to seeing what your remapped ECU does once a number of folks get their hands on it and start pairing it up with bikes better able to breathe than the stock ones.

Didn't pee wee run 9.5's with little mods and a slick? So now the re-flash with bring a stock bike up to a modified bike? The mods have increased h.p. by 15-20.
Does the re-flash have anymore h.p. or just remapped downstairs for better low end? Alot of us modified bikes will just have to wait for re-flashing. Will a stock re-flash work better on a mods bike than a race ecu? I did notice the stock ecu ran 9.91 and a race ecu 9.80. So the race ecu does have some better mapping than stock besides just removing the top speed limiter? But, the re-flash is the best but only for stock setup? Is there any difference in a re-flash of a stock ecu over a race ecu?

Back