1st Gen V-Max Finally got my VMAX after 25 years.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtieGirtie

Reaction score
VMax Year
I was a senior in High School back in 1994. That spring I wanted to move up from my Suzuki GS500E and saw a bike I wanted at dealer... a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650. It was a good deal and I ended up buying her. But while at the dealer something caught my eye that has left me drooling for the last 25 years... a bright yellow VMAX (or is it V-MAX? I can't remember when they switched the official name). Good lord, she was sitting still on the showroom floor but looked like she was snarling and ready to pounce on any unsuspecting customer that got too close... It was love at first sight.

I've had many bikes in the years since and have gotten into rebuilding bikes in the last 8 years or so. Here's a couple pics of my winter project that I finished a few months back:

Final2.jpg

Mission Accomplished.jpg

Well, as I am always watching c-list, and lately facebook marketplace, I've seen a couple of VMAX's that have tempted me, but nothing to the point that I had to move on them. Then, last week, I found her right after she was posted. I quickly contacted the seller and sent a deposit so I could drive up and buy her on the weekend. She's a 2002 Silver Carbon Fiber model, 13k miles, and pretty much bone stock except for the Yammy windscreen, highway pegs, and Corbin seat (stock seat was included); no engine or exhaust mods - just the way I want her. Here's a couple of pics the seller had up:
6.jpg 2.jpg

I got her for $3,975 up here in New England. Only issue? She doesn't run. Well, she runs... on choke... but not without choke. She has been sitting for a few years. I popped the gas cap and could see rust in the tank.
I have a new tank on order ($320 from partzilla - won't ship for three weeks) and I'll have to rebuild the carbs. Pretty standard for bikes that sit.

Oh... last thing... I normally do my own painting. But this time, because there is no threat of gas hitting the tank (cover) so I won't need gas resistance... I'm going to give vinyl wrap a shot! Of course... YELLOW!!! :)

I think my only question so far is; If I don't intend on modifying the air box or the exhaust (I consider her a classic so I want to keep her stock), then should I just keep the stock jets in her or do they typically run rather lean out of the factory?

Thanks for the awesome forum and I look forward to learning from, and contributing to, the knowledge here!

Running a size or two smaller on the main jet should help the bike to run better.

You can get in-touch with Sean Morley [email protected] and ask him for info on his Morley's Muscle jet kit he's developed. Do NOT buy a Stage 1 Dynojet kit and try to make it work, because they are problematic. Really, to get the best performance on a jet kit, you need to install a full exhaust, not just 'slip-ons,' the megaphone/canister ends which attach to OEM header pipes.

Your 2002 already has the bigger, better front end sliders, downtubes, and triple trees (from 1993-2007), ignition box (1990-2007), and bigger brakes (1993-2007) so you're ahead of the game. Adding stainless steel front brake lines and HH composition pads is a relatively inexpensive way to get better braking.

I say the #1 way to improve your bike's handling is to get radial tires, which requires a 17" or 18" rear wheel and a radial tire. Common widths used are 5-1/2" or 6" in either wheel diameter.

In the front you can run the OEM 18" wheel but the width is not optimal to accept use of a radial tire. Many people buy a 17" X 3-1/2" wide front wheel and run matching radial rubber F & R.

Use the advanced search function in the upper-right hand corner to research radial tires, modified wheels, suppliers, and how to avoid making mistakes in radial tire fitment. Click on 'search' to see 'advanced search.'

Copy this link to your favorites file. VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net) Print out a copy and read it front to back.

(102) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)
Info you need to know.

Last edited:
I was a senior in High School back in 1994. That spring I wanted to move up from my Suzuki GS500E and saw a bike I wanted at dealer... a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650. It was a good deal and I ended up buying her. But while at the dealer something caught my eye that has left me drooling for the last 25 years... a bright yellow VMAX (or is it V-MAX? I can't remember when they switched the official name). Good lord, she was sitting still on the showroom floor but looked like she was snarling and ready to pounce on any unsuspecting customer that got too close... It was love at first sight.

I've had many bikes in the years since and have gotten into rebuilding bikes in the last 8 years or so. Here's a couple pics of my winter project that I finished a few months back:

View attachment 84362

View attachment 84363

Well, as I am always watching c-list, and lately facebook marketplace, I've seen a couple of VMAX's that have tempted me, but nothing to the point that I had to move on them. Then, last week, I found her right after she was posted. I quickly contacted the seller and sent a deposit so I could drive up and buy her on the weekend. She's a 2002 Silver Carbon Fiber model, 13k miles, and pretty much bone stock except for the Yammy windscreen, highway pegs, and Corbin seat (stock seat was included); no engine or exhaust mods - just the way I want her. Here's a couple of pics the seller had up:
View attachment 84364 View attachment 84365

I got her for $3,975 up here in New England. Only issue? She doesn't run. Well, she runs... on choke... but not without choke. She has been sitting for a few years. I popped the gas cap and could see rust in the tank.
I have a new tank on order ($320 from partzilla - won't ship for three weeks) and I'll have to rebuild the carbs. Pretty standard for bikes that sit.

Oh... last thing... I normally do my own painting. But this time, because there is no threat of gas hitting the tank (cover) so I won't need gas resistance... I'm going to give vinyl wrap a shot! Of course... YELLOW!!! :)

I think my only question so far is; If I don't intend on modifying the air box or the exhaust (I consider her a classic so I want to keep her stock), then should I just keep the stock jets in her or do they typically run rather lean out of the factory?

Thanks for the awesome forum and I look forward to learning from, and contributing to, the knowledge here!
Congratulations on the purchase!! I’m with you keep it as stock as possible. Dannymax rebuilt my carbs and it runs perfectly with stock jets.

View attachment 84362

View attachment 84363

You have arrived!!

Congratulations on the purchase!! I’m with you keep it as stock as possible. Dannymax rebuilt my carbs and it runs perfectly with stock jets.
BTW, I also had to have one when I first saw the ‘85 in the magazines. Bought one in 86 and rode it for 12 years. Regrettably sold in ‘98 then got it back 23 years later. It sat for 11 years. Fuel tank was shot along with many other things as you can imagine. Around $2,200 later it was ready for the road!! I absolutely love it!!!

Thanks, guys!
I'm familiar with DannyMax - I think he was active on the v4musclebike forum I was on a few years back when I had my Gen3 Magna. I actually enjoy working on bikes so I'll be doing the work myself. I might get started this weekend and take the gas tank out. If it isn't too bad then maybe I'll shift gears and de-rust and coat the tank rather than buy a new one (assuming I can cancel the one I already ordered).

de-rust and coat the tank rather than buy a new one (assuming I can cancel the one I already ordered).
The way supply-side issues are, I'd buy that OEM tank, and put it on a shelf, with some type of oil in it, even if you refurbish the old one.

Nice find I disliked the carbon also on my 2000 so did vinyl wrap also word of advice sand all clear coat off parts or possibly will peel and create havoc for applying vinyl wrap.I learned the hard way.

Nice find I disliked the carbon also on my 2000 so did vinyl wrap also word of advice sand all clear coat off parts or possibly will peel and create havoc for applying vinyl wrap.I learned the hard way.
This thread is the first news I've heard on Yami's original carbon fiber wrap-thing going bad, but I must admit the very first time I saw that on a new bike I wondered how long that would last before going south. I'm sure it depends on the climate it's subjected to...but yep, I'm not too shocked.

NIce bike! It looks like my 2000 carbon fiber Vmax I just picked up last year in non-running condition for 1k...I've currently got more than that amount into all the repairs and new parts LOL.....these bikes have original FAUX (FAKE) carbon fiber decals with clear coat spray over them....mine has been re-painted by previous owner but I sanded it down to the original faux carbon and started playing around with the sand job...it kinda looks like flame now, but the flames are going in the wrong direction, up from my crotch! LOL

Attachments

• IMG20220807132724.jpg
    IMG20220807132724.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220807132731.jpg
    IMG20220807132731.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
I guess you can experiment but it never ceases to amaze me why people think they know better than the engineers at yamaha who designed and tested the bike.

It's an old thread, have you done the vinyl wrap and photo s?

View attachment 84362

View attachment 84363

All I heard was Ralphies voice from Christmas story while reading this.
Congrats on the new/used bike

Nice find, as stated in a previous response, get with Sean and he will help you out for sure. If you do the carbs yourself, my suggestion is get you a heated ultra sonic cleaner and the carb cleaner for it. It will make your life so much easier. With multiple arbs they are a little tougher getting them all hooked back together. Just an FYI

Latest posts

Back